LSI 9260-8i confused battery state

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Hi all,

I'm running a Supermicro rebranded flashed to LSI 9260-8i RAID card with BBU in my workstation and so far so good. One strange issue I've noticed is that there seems to be inconsistent info about the health of the BBU unit between boot time firmware and windows MRM.
When the machine first boots, the RAID FW loads and reports battery is "Fully Charged", I can go into WebBios and create arrays with write-back cache with battery support, so everything seems to be in order.
After Windows loads, however, I get messages from MRM stating "Battery Failed, BBU write-back not possible" etc. They seem to repeat every 30-60 minutes.

I know these batteries don't last forever but conflicting messages are really confusing. I don't really need BBU as I'm looking to just run RAID0 on 2 SSDs and 6 15K SAS drives

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Does this happen when it is flashed as supermicro brand? Sometimes I've wondered if cross-flashing causes battery inconsistency's due to various technologies used with megaraid controllers.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Does this happen when it is flashed as supermicro brand? Sometimes I've wondered if cross-flashing causes battery inconsistency's due to various technologies used with megaraid controllers.
I can't answer that, before crossflashing it won't even go into WebBios due to firmware being super old, even older than the oldest LSI archived copy on the website. The controller still identifies as SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-8i, Supermicro doesn't seems to customize the LSI card too much, they basically just whitelabeled so it's not really a crossflash

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Well i've noticed this happens to the IBM 5014 when cross-flashed too! So I'm just guessing it might be an OEM battery design that isn't compatible. Guessing based on my experience. I don't run the BBWC or FLASH module since i'm rocking samsung 840 pro's which don't perform with the battery at all.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Well i've noticed this happens to the IBM 5014 when cross-flashed too! So I'm just guessing it might be an OEM battery design that isn't compatible. Guessing based on my experience. I don't run the BBWC or FLASH module since i'm rocking samsung 840 pro's which don't perform with the battery at all.
Yea same here, but I will have spinners and the warning is annoying. Interesting point about battery design