Low Profile Ram (X399 Phantom Gaming 6) (1950X)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
I working on a 1950X threadripper build that will be housed in a 4U Rosewill RSV-L4500. The motherboard in question is the X399 Phantom Gaming 6. (I still don't know why gaming is in the title of a workstation board) This is more of a workstation build than a server. Its going in a rack with my media server because I want it off my desk but not on the floor.

This payday I will order the Noctua NH U9 TR4 SP3. If I understand this correctly, I need low profile ram to the keep the clearance issues to a minimum. All suggestions welcome. While I'm here, does anyone know if compatible ram can purchased without heat spreaders?

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
My guess is that it has gaming in the name, because it is not a workstation board first.
Anyway, you don't need low profile ram. There are no clearance issues with this cooler with standard height DIMMS.

Reactions: rdsii64

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
Thank you for clearing that up.
My guess is that it has gaming in the name, because it is not a workstation board first.
Anyway, you don't need low profile ram. There are no clearance issues with this cooler with standard height DIMMS.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i have this combination (cpu+mainboard+noctua 120mm TR4 cooler). with 120mm cooler i dont need low-profile sticks. with 92mm cooler i guess you indeed need low-profile, because 92mm cooler is wider than 120mm.

look for vengeneace LPX or hyperx fury.

and i have now ecc-udimms in this board. unbuffered ecc is working good, even those stick are not on the qvl-list of asrock

Last edited:

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
i have this combination (cpu+mainboard+noctua 120mm TR4 cooler). with 120mm cooler i dont need low-profile sticks. with 92mm cooler i guess you indeed need low-profile, because 92mm cooler is wider than 120mm.

look for vengeneace LPX or hyperx fury.

and i have now ecc-udimms in this board. unbuffered ecc is working good, even those stick are not on the qvl-list of asrock
Thanks for the help. Sorry for the slow reply. I went with a 32 gig kit (4 x 8 gig sticks) of Corsair vengence LPX Part no. CMK32GX4M4A2666C16. Its only 2666 instead of 3200.

I went with this kit anyway because it was tested with my board using all 8 dim slots according to the
QVL. This will let me go up to 64 gigs if I ever need to.

Corsair even has a kit using 16 gig sticks that was tested with all 8 slots. Since filling up 8 slots with 128 gigs would blow the budget, I didn't bother.