Low power reasonably priced supermicro mb

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
I'm looking for a low power, reasonably priced, supermicro motherboard/processor. Looking for recommendations. Xeon d, atom, whatever. Would like to keep it under 50w total. And under 300$ with the cpu.

It needs at least 1 or 2 8x pcie, bmc, and 6 cores.

pcie v3 and ddr3 are fine.

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
1x pcie x16 + 2x pcie x8 = 32 pcie lanes.
This eliminates first and second generation xeon d boards(32 lanes in total, but only 24 are "exposed"/available) and everything "prosumer" oriented stuff that sm has.

I think some of the single socket x10 boards (maybe x10srl?) could get you 40+ lanes, >= 6 cores, ipmi/bmc and stay close to 50 watt in idle/extreme low cpu load

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
ok, x the 16x pcie :)

Really just need to hook up a sas controller, 2+ nvme, a 25/40gbe nic, and possibly a couple of tpu. if it has a built in 10gbe I think that would be enough.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
X11SRM-VF + W-2145 + 2x32GB 2933 RDIMMs with no expansion cards, a single consumer sata ssd and proxmox installed sits at 35W at idle. However, at full load power consumption jumps to ~120W, so I'm not sure if it will fit your requirements.
I've got the set from @zac1, so you can contact him if it works for you.

• Love
Reactions: zac1

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
Bumping this, any new ideas on what I could get here? Still haven’t pulled the trigger.

A x10sdv-7tp4f is basically exactly what I want, but at over $1k it is just silly priced.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I'm looking for a low power, reasonably priced, supermicro motherboard/processor. Looking for recommendations. Xeon d, atom, whatever. Would like to keep it under 50w total. And under 300$ with the cpu.

It needs at least 1 or 2 8x pcie, bmc, and 6 cores.

pcie v3 and ddr3 are fine.
ok, x the 16x pcie :)

Really just need to hook up a sas controller, 2+ nvme, a 25/40gbe nic, and possibly a couple of tpu. if it has a built in 10gbe I think that would be enough.
Hmmm...that's going to be kinda tough.

Used prices for Supermicro motherboards have gone up lately, pretty steeply for some models. So the $300 criteria is going to eliminate a whole bunch.

X9/X10 boards with LGA1155/1150 sockets will come in under the price cap, and there's CPU options that can keep consumption under 50w. But they pretty much all lack the PCIe lanes to accommodate all the devices (especially since they don't support PCIe slot bifurcation and there's usually no onboard m.2 slots. So, if you wanted to use that form factor you end up adapters and dedicating a PCie slot for each drive).

Other systems that have enough PCIe lanes and can meet the price point, aren't going to fit the 50w consumption ceiling. Boards with LGA2011, 2011-3, or 2066 for example.

As you note, the stuff that fits the power, price, and connectivity criteria is tending to be well over $300.

Supermicro did make some niche stuff that could work if you're willing to bend criteria and/or compromise a bit. X10SAT, for example, gives you 6 PCIe slots, but three of them are x1 electrically. They'll still work for most of the things you want to connect...but the x1 bandwith is a pretty big limitation. EDIT: Oh, and just remembered that there's no BMC on that one. So, maybe not an option.

Last edited:

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
This is quite much in terms of PCIe lanes. I guess a X11SCL-F is not enough despite it's maxing out the platform in terms of PCIe devices (without bottle necking the south bridge). But think about this for a while. This platform is great in terms of power and has quite a few options for expandability. If you can live with 4 "fast" cores, stick with an i3-9100F.
The mentioned X11SRM-VF is the next step in terms of PCIe per watt and the CPUs have high single thread performance, which is nice for many applications. I have one myself with an W2150B. Only quirk I found is that it does not support updating the BIOS via BMC web ui. You need to stick a usb flash drive in there.

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
Would a OWC U2 Shuttle solve your pcie lane problem? Not sure what it would add to power consumption but it’ll give you quad nvme behind a pcie switch in a 3.5” form factor. Moooost people don’t need the bandwidth of nvme drives so ganging up four of them on an x4 link wouldn’t be a problem for mooooost people.

one of those should make a consumer platform like i3 or Ryzen work in terms of lane count.

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
Yes, something with a pci switch would probably solve the pci lane thing.

I really need more than 4 cores, I have a bunch of docker containers and vm.

The only thing that might make me consider a lower core count is if it has an intel igpu. Much of my cpu goes to video decoding for object detection in my nvr. Especially on days when it is raining and motion is going crazy. Preferably a gen 10+ intel igpu.

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
Unfortunately X11SCL-F is based on C242 so you can't use the iGPU of an i3-9100. Unfortunately the C246 based boards are not layed out that nicely. Maybe have a look at X11SCH-F and X11SCW-F if they could work out for you because those should make the iGPU accessible. The newer generations are way more expensive.
I guess a i3-9100 4C/4T would be similarly fast in multi threading like the D1537 8C/16T on the X10SDV-7TP4F even without the iGPU. Single core of the i3 is about twice as fast...

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
You aren’t restricted to an i3. Feel free to run an i7 or i9 if you fancy.

What I’m saying is simply that your pcie lane requirements can be solved for by using a pcie switch, either in the form of a U2 Shuttle (which realistically wouldn’t be used for anything other than storage but could technically be used for anything via an nvme->pcie adapter) or in the form of a pcie add-in card (example: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805484706547.html).

I can’t comment on what a pcie switch will do to power consumption but what I’m saying is that the relatively spartan pcie lane count on intel and amd consumer platforms can be worked around by adding a switch.

really the only thing you get from moving up to workstation/enterprise gear (Xeon scalable) is support for way more memory and cores (which you don’t seem to need) and way more unswitched pcie lanes (which you don’t seem to need).

I think you’ll end up spending more on switches and adapters and cables than you’d spend on just buying Xeon scalable. The power savings won’t add up to much in terms of dollars unless you live outside the USA.

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
You aren’t restricted to an i3. Feel free to run an i7 or i9 if you fancy.
i5/i7/i9 prior to 12th gen do not support ECC. Presumably they don't even work on C242/246 boards. I think an PCIe switch will push power consumption (nearly) to C422 level rendering an X11SRM-VF the better solution.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
really the only thing you get from moving up to workstation/enterprise gear (Xeon scalable) is support for way more memory and cores (which you don’t seem to need) and way more unswitched pcie lanes (which you don’t seem to need).
@bbqdt specified in the OP that they wanted a BMC. So, unless that's a point they are willing to be flexible on, I think it limits them to a workstation/enterprise motherboard? If they can live without a BMC, I think there's other options to consider under the $300 cap.

i5/i7/i9 prior to 12th gen do not support ECC. Presumably they don't even work on C242/246 boards. I think an PCIe switch will push power consumption (nearly) to C422 level rendering an X11SRM-VF the better solution.
Yeah, a PCIe switch will hit the power envelope pretty hard.

@bbqdt , can you tell us a bit more about the 50w limit? Is it hard and fast (i.e. power source can't handle more), or is it a target? X10/X11 gear with LGA2011-3 or LGA2066 CPUs will give you 28-40 PCIe lanes to work with and can be tamped down so idle is under 50w with the kind of devices you plan to use (assuming you use a more modern energy efficient NIC). My X10SRH-CF and X11SRM-VF (a board both @piranha32 and @NPS mention above) both idle at under 50W with a buncha SSDs connected (but no highspeed NIC). The X10SRH-CF even has an onboard LSI3008.

But even with an X10SRxxx motherboard and a thermally capped "L" series CPU, they will all ramp up over 50w when there's any kind of load. Plus, no iGPU on most of these for trascoding on the cheaper CPUs. And of course, the CPUs for those sockets that have an iGPU tend to be the more expensive ones on Ebay and the like.

Still a conundrum!

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
A question for me remains: What is connected to the HBA? A HBA often has quite high power consumption by itself and if it is needed to serve many disks, the power consumption of the disks start to be higher than the rest of the system so if you can, get rid of the HBA.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
In my system the HBA (Inspur's LSI9300-8i) accounted for 10W by itself, with no disks connected. This would be a significant part of OP's power budget.

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
The 50w limit is just me trying to significantly beat what I already have.

I’m replacing a X9DRI-F in a 4u supermicro 36 bay enclosure I use for my nas.

I have 2x E5-2648L v2 and 256g ram, but only run 1x cpu and 128g due to not needing more. I could probably reduce ram to 48g or less.

My goal is to reduce power consumption. As much as possible. And still be able to run all my stuff. And “update” to something more modern.

It currently runs at about 130-180w (according to bmc). Even under load.

I run unraid with a bunch of docker containers.

Biggest cpu hog is scrypted for my nvr. Without an igpu it has to decode low res video for object detection.

When it rains outside, system is totally cpu limited due to all the video decode.

I need a sas2+ controller to connect to backplane, a 10gbe+ nic, and room for 3 m.2 devices (Built in or via pci card).

And yeah, need a bmc.

Last edited:

JHanko

Dec 4, 2023
Midwest, USA
Could you make one of these work? I bought 2 from this seller. They both arrived fast and in like new condition.

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
If you’re willing to give up on the requirement for supermicro id say you should go with an asrock rack b550/x470/x570 board and a Ryzen pro 4xxxg/5xxxg processor.

the ryzen pro models officially support ecc memory. The ryzen g models have Radeon graphics that should provide hardware accelerated encode/decode.

the asrock rack board will provide bmc as required and at least one of them has onboard 10g nic.