Low cost Tiny Box/ Mini ITX Mobo + CPU/ SoC choices: Sophos 9.x UTM Home & its Updates for 2/3 yrs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xbliss

Sep 26, 2015
Low cost Tiny Box/ Mini ITX Mobo + CPU/ SoC choices: Sophos 9.x UTM Home & its Updates for 2/3 yrs

I was looking at bunch of platforms: Haswell, Broadwell, Braswell {pretty low cost}. Thoughts?

izx

Jan 17, 2016
MSI's version of the 5th gen NUC, Broadwell-U Celeron, $110 after $20 rebate.

I have one and while the build quality is a little sloppier than Intel, it's a snappy little thing with Ubuntu at least. Add DDR3L SODIMM(s) and mSATA AND/OR 2.5" SATA drive to suit.

Single-threaded performance on the budget Braswells can sometimes be agonizing (with their Atom heritage), like the Intel NUC5CPYH (Braswell Pentium N3050) which seems to be around the same pre-rebate price of $130.

Last edited:

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
CPU requirements will depend on your needs. Will you be using VPN? What is the speed of your WAN and (possible) VPN?

xbliss

Sep 26, 2015
CPU requirements will depend on your needs. Will you be using VPN? What is the speed of your WAN and (possible) VPN?
ISP: 10 M Down/ 2-5 Up
VPN - Not majorly, no plans yet but lets say once in a while use if that matters.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
With that slow of a connection you can get away with just about any CPU. A cheap celeron will work fine.

xbliss

Sep 26, 2015
With that slow of a connection you can get away with just about any CPU. A cheap celeron will work fine.
Let's put it the other way around.. if I was to go for one of these:
Intel Braswell boxes compilation
Tronsmart Ara X5 TV box - Cherry Trail

What kind of Internet Up/Down network would it be able to serve well?
What would / where would be the limits of these boxes? Some thoughts/ numbers?

PS: Hoping/ assuming that ISP's in our asian nation up their game in 1-2 years.