Lot of 4 HP T620 Thin Clients $100 w/power supplies ($79.95 + $19.95 Shipping US)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
hmm. for those that are interested in plex server / players. no h.265 support with them.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
These are really good just as windows embedded thin clients even if they are limited to the 32-bit version of just 7E. I use the Wyse version to rdp into all my systems.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
These are really good just as windows embedded thin clients even if they are limited to the 32-bit version of just 7E. I use the Wyse version to rdp into all my systems.
yeah, but it’s 2021 - a t620 is far past its prime and hardly a good idea (definitely not a “great deal”). A t630 is about 50, and a t640 is about 90-100 - both will give you a little more longevity not much more. Since you can’t see the SKU/MPN on the product it’s nearly impossible to figure out whether it comes with any accessories, much less a Win7E CoA sticker or not. Even if you want something cheap for playing around with, a t520 is a better (and smaller) idea.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
yeah, but it’s 2021 - a t620 is far past its prime and hardly a good idea (definitely not a “great deal”). A t630 is about 50, and a t640 is about 90-100 - both will give you a little more longevity not much more. Since you can’t see the SKU/MPN on the product it’s nearly impossible to figure out whether it comes with any accessories, much less a Win7E CoA sticker or not. Even if you want something cheap for playing around with, a t520 is a better (and smaller) idea.
True, but as an rdp client it doesn't seem to even matter that it's older--at least in my use. Plus, it's hard to get one for $25 shipped that's complete with the power supply and the flash module. If I didn't already have mine and was okay with this level of performance, these would be an easy buy.

But my sights are on the 7P ones to come down in cost or pick up a newer IOT version (if they're not a pita to manage)--I don't know how much faster 64-bit would be, but I'd probably notice it now.

In the listing they do have an image of the product label as well as the win 7e coa. As far as the t520, it's a little slower and again has a dual core processor with the GX-212JC. My Lenovo M32 with the celeron 807 really feels snappy and my Dell Z90DQ with the GX-415GA almost as quick, but not quite. Hence why I've been eyeing the Dell 5070 with the much faster J5005 and IOT on it, but it's not regularly <$100 yet:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
True, but as an rdp client it doesn't seem to even matter that it's older--at least in my use. Plus, it's hard to get one for $25 shipped that's complete with the power supply and the flash module. If I didn't already have mine and was okay with this level of performance, these would be an easy buy.

But my sights are on the 7P ones to come down in cost or pick up a newer IOT version (if they're not a pita to manage)--I don't know how much faster 64-bit would be, but I'd probably notice it now.

In the listing they do have an image of the product label as well as the win 7e coa. As far as the t520, it's a little slower and again has a dual core processor with the GX-212JC. My Lenovo M32 with the celeron 807 really feels snappy and my Dell Z90DQ with the GX-415GA almost as quick, but not quite. Hence why I've been eyeing the Dell 5070 with the much faster J5005 and IOT on it, but it's not regularly <$100 yet:
For RDP you really don't need much - even a 20 dollar t420 (everything soldered and practically a zero client) will take care of it. The question is why I picked the t520 (1.8L) - because with a 6w TDP CPU it could arguably run with a smaller PSU and take up less power while doing so - the t530 (which is the next step up) will give you the same firepower as the GX217GA on the base model 620 (2L), and it'll be slight bit smaller (1.4L)

That being said, I would not buy any t520/t620/t620 plus machines unless I have a very specific use for them, considering that there are t640s at the 100 USD level on eBay already, and those have very good performance for their price. As @Patrick would have put it on his m75q Gen2 video, you can have one new machine do the work of 4 of those old ones - they'll take up less space, require less power and you won't have to source DDR3 SODIMM or MiniPCIe NICs to upgrade/wire them up.

Also, hold off on the Wyse 5070 for now. Wait until the HP t540 hits the general availability and see if Wyse is announcing a replacement for the 5070 series - I got a feeling that they will be announcing something for Q2.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
For RDP you really don't need much - even a 20 dollar t420 (everything soldered and practically a zero client) will take care of it. The question is why I picked the t520 (1.8L) - because with a 6w TDP CPU it could arguably run with a smaller PSU and take up less power while doing so - the t530 (which is the next step up) will give you the same firepower as the GX217GA on the base model 620 (2L), and it'll be slight bit smaller (1.4L)

That being said, I would not buy any t520/t620/t620 plus machines unless I have a very specific use for them, considering that there are t640s at the 100 USD level on eBay already, and those have very good performance for their price. As @Patrick would have put it on his m75q Gen2 video, you can have one new machine do the work of 4 of those old ones - they'll take up less space, require less power and you won't have to source DDR3 SODIMM or MiniPCIe NICs to upgrade/wire them up.

Also, hold off on the Wyse 5070 for now. Wait until the HP t540 hits the general availability and see if Wyse is announcing a replacement for the 5070 series - I got a feeling that they will be announcing something for Q2.
I wouldn't have though the rdp client side hardware would have mattered much, but it was interesting in my testing to find that faster single-thread speeds do improve connection setup, and my quad core Z90DQ actually handles the number of sessions better than my Z90S7 units. So it seems more cores and faster ones is what I would need for an upgrade.

Thank you for the heads up on the release of the t540 units--it's only when these are cheaper than a computer and generally off the radar that I would pick them up. I can run old gear just fine since I just get more of them, lol. Parallel ftw, lol.