Looking to go beyond 10g but very cheaply.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
ah I had hoped you miraculously managed to tame it.
I still run it since i have not come up with an reliable/safe alternative yet.

Re switch - what are your requirements?

Yves

Apr 4, 2017
ah I had hoped you miraculously managed to tame it.
I still run it since i have not come up with an reliable/safe alternative yet.

Re switch - what are your requirements?
I totally agree with you. I also did not find a reliable / safe alternative. Only review I read so far which seamed promising where S2D from Microsoft.

Regarding the switch I have to go a little bit of topic. My plan was creating / experimenting / learning ceph cluster. So I thought i use a few old DL380p Gen8 with 12 LFF (some 8TB SATA3 HDDs) and some cheap Samsung NVMe (Cache Disks) and a fast storage network. This is why I tought of 40gbps for the storage cluster. But my compute nodes will still have local NVME or dual local NVME and will stay at the 10gbps switch for now. Plan was using the power of multiple iSCSi path from the 40gbps to the 10gbps compute nodes ESXi. In a later step upgrade the compute nodes also to 40gbps this is why I wanted a bigger qsfp+ switch and I was thinking the cheap mellanox switches u can find are only somekind of HBA / Storage Mode switches...

Yves

Apr 4, 2017
that sounds very very promising. I might do a short vision on my plans and post it somewhere in the forum. So if there are any pitfalls I dont see. Others might see them.