looking for ssd recommendations for heavy seeding ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sohailoo

Sep 13, 2023
I'm downloading and seeding stuff 24/7. there's not a second where my torrent container is chilling and doing nothing. I don't want to wear out my HDDs with constant reads/writes. If I'm behaving myself I probably download around 1TB worth of linux isos per week.

i know i don't REALLY need an ssd but i still prefer one for the initial seed and after a couple of days i'll move stuff to my array (unraid) for long-term seed

i don't know if it matters but my connection is 500/200 with 10-20 torrents seeding at the same time in general

so what's you're recommendations for an ssd around 2-4tb? preferably used since i can get larger for cheaper than if i bought new.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
this sounds like a perfect use-case for 4 of those sandisk 1.92TB -- You don't need blazing fast and with 4 you get 8TB raw, start with 2 if you wanted too... $45\ea as of now, in Great Deals forum

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
I'm downloading and seeding stuff 24/7. there's not a second where my torrent container is chilling and doing nothing. I don't want to wear out my HDDs with constant reads/writes. If I'm behaving myself I probably download around 1TB worth of linux isos per week.

i know i don't REALLY need an ssd but i still prefer one for the initial seed and after a couple of days i'll move stuff to my array (unraid) for long-term seed

i don't know if it matters but my connection is 500/200 with 10-20 torrents seeding at the same time in general

so what's you're recommendations for an ssd around 2-4tb? preferably used since i can get larger for cheaper than if i bought new.
1TB per week is 52TB per year. enterprise SSDs are commonly rated in the PB range, which would be ~19 years at 1TB per week for 1 PB (1000 TB)

Reactions: mach3.2

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
I don't want to wear out my HDDs with constant reads/writes.
HDDs wear out mostly from spinup/spindown, high range temp. changes and then the spinning alone. That said, an idle, but spinning disk over years will likely die after the same time period like the one with heavy duty. But that's no rule, if a brand new disk decides to die after one week, you can't do anything. :)

If you buy SSDs anyway, look for the ones with high TBW (Terabytes Written) and DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day), then IOPS, then the price. Avoid consumer SSDs for this task and check for firmware availability before you buy!
Some models run hot, expect to cool them down.