Looking for small plex client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I bought a MiniMX and it showed up today (took 15 days to arrive) it has a odd inconsistency/smudging on the finish and it smelled bad in the box, but other than that it works. It boots quickly to a pretty generic home screen with customizable application launchers at the bottom of the screen.

I've tried a few autostarters to get it to go right into Plex without success. Also, the bundled remote does work to navigate the interface (IR Remote), but in Plex, I can't arrow over to press the button to actually play a file, so I have to use a mouse or the SUPER slow mouse mode on the remote. The price is cheap and playback formats seem great. But, for plug and play, I'm still liking my refurbished Roku 3's with RF remote with integrated headphone jack by a wide margin over this.

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I bought one of these to go with mine: 2.4G Wireless Remote Keyboard Air Mouse for Smart Android TV BOX Mini PC XBMC

I was planning on tucking my wee box in behind the TV out of sight, as I have done with the rPi3, so I knew up front that the included IR hand control was going to be an ornament. I bought the little Tronsmart box I linked to earlier in the thread because the wireless chipset is 802.3ac capable plus it has decent sized memory in it. In fact despite an exhaustive search, I think it's the only box currently that is 802.3ac capable, all the rest claim dual band wireless. I'm doing as much of this TV stuff as wire free as possible, plus if the TV thing doesn't work out using this box, I can at least have some chance of using it for something else. I'm hoping to be able to get Openelec on it at the least, but I would love to get a Debian port on it :)

Reactions: rubylaser

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The reason I think was twofold. Firstly, I was looking for a dedicated Plex Client, something that done nothing more than provide a reliable endpoint for my media server, cost being a secondary consideration, but had to be easily affordable. The little compute sticks would also run the Plex client without trouble I'm sure, but they are aiming at a much different experience and target market. I do love the idea of a "PC in your pocket" though :)

I'm just waiting on my Tronsmart TV box thingy getting here, allegedly it is in BC and heading this way, I'm assuming by bicycle if the tracking info is anything to go by, so I'll post up a bit on my experience with that when it finally arrives :)

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
The reason I think was twofold. Firstly, I was looking for a dedicated Plex Client, something that done nothing more than provide a reliable endpoint for my media server, cost being a secondary consideration, but had to be easily affordable. The little compute sticks would also run the Plex client without trouble I'm sure, but they are aiming at a much different experience and target market. I do love the idea of a "PC in your pocket" though :)
Fair enough, my first through when i saw the thread was a stick with something like Kodibuntu

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The Tronsmart box I ordered runs Kodi or some flavour of it. I tried Kodi way way back when it first got traction, but I couldn't get my head round it, having zero Linux experience at that time probably didn't help, but I'm well up for the challenge now :)

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
I run a popcorn hour VTEN. not sure if you need that much though I think the device was 150$ it does 4k@30fps handles any 1080p movie and every audio format from AAC up to atmos/dts:x. The plex client is lacking a little bit it did go open source but sadly its flashlite based and not many interested in making it better. If you dont run the plex client it has its own built in jukebox that will read a samba/nfs share and create the artwork and such.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Another vote for Rasplex.

Been very pleased with the performance of Rasplex on a Raspberry Pi Model B.

Just wish I knew how to configure the PC remote for greater functionality!

Reactions: whitey

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I just wish that someone would create a device that had CEC support and is powered by HDMI power.. + had AC wifi.. but thats just a sidenote :)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Another vote for Rasplex.

Been very pleased with the performance of Rasplex on a Raspberry Pi Model B.

Just wish I knew how to configure the PC remote for greater functionality!
Nice, glad to see another rasplex fan. My CEC works great on my samsung remote and I can also use my phone w/ plex app installed as remote if needed.

Reactions: T_Minus

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I am powering my RPi3 from one of the TV USB ports and all works a treat. CEC is great (Sony TV supports it) and I'm using Wireless N to access my media. Really the only issue is the power available from the USB Port, I would say it's right on the edge when the Pi is busy (I get the wee coloured block appear at start up), but other than that I'm getting away with it so far :)