Looking for server rack for quiet operation.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zara654

May 15, 2021
I'm going to have this server in my living space. There's nowhere I can really put it in my apartment to not have loud fans. I found this, which seems perfect; but, that's also crazy expensive. I need at least 15U for two 24 HDD drive bays, two switches, some space between them, and probably a few cooling units. So, probably an 18U to be safe, and the drive bays are about 32 inches deep. I heard the Mikrotik CRS354-48G-4S+2Q+RM can get a bit loud under load. I can replace the fans with Noctuas, but that voids the warranty, and I don't know how good the PWM control is on the board. Does anyone know of good enclosures that would fit these specs, while also having the cooling capability to keep the unit fairly quiet?

I'm guessing replace all of the fans with Noctuas, and just program an OCTO or something to run the fan curve based on temp sensors.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
An alternative to the UCoustic rack you linked is the APC NetShelter CX line. They are also rather expensive, though if you're on the west coast, they do pop up from time to time on Craigslist or the likes.

Replacing the fans will only go so far and often times, quieter fans will not move enough air or maintain ample static pressure for sufficient cooling.

Reactions: Borromini

zara654

May 15, 2021
I was just thinking pick up Noctuas as their high speed fans can move a lot of air at lower speeds, and toss cooling units, like this, between every component. I don't need one of those rack mount coolers right away as it's initially just housing my switches towards the top. If CaseLabs was still around they probably had the perfect chasis for cheap for server stuff.