Looking for reliable portable storage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

0utf0xZer0

Aug 17, 2016
Hello,

I regularly move between locations with different desktop computers, so I keep the main copy of my files on a portable drive using USB 3.

Initially I used a Seagate 1.5TB, which worked well most of the time but would get the occassional bad sector that would corrupt a file.

Then I got a 3TB WD Passport, which I formatted in ReFS with integrity checks due to the ocassional bad sectors issue with the previous setup. This worked great - unlike the previous NTFS solution, there was no issue if the drive lost power due to a loose cable - for just under a year until this Friday when Windows suddenly refused to mount the drive, saying it could not repair the volume. It had been working 100% perfect just a couple hours earlier at another location. In addition one piece of recovery software (ReClaiMe) can see my files on the disk, haven't tried recovering yet as the evaluation version won't recover stuff and I am trying to decide if the stuff I don't have recent backups of is worth $80US.

I'm wondering what to try next. Is portable storage just this unreliable?