Looking for noise information on Dell MD1200/MD1220

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MrBlc

Jun 8, 2017
Hi

I've been trying for a few weeks to locate some credible information on the noise level and type of the Dell MD12xx chassis..
I'm evaluating their potential for a home server setup as the eBay prices are reaching an obtainable level.
After investigation i deemed the Dell R720 as the potential server for this setup. It was recently obtained and installed. Very satisfied with the choice.

Anyone can help me with making a video on the noise level of these cabinets?
I'm curious about both the level of noise and the behaviour of it..

prisoner881

Nov 12, 2016
I recently put an MD1200 on my R710 home server. The fan noise is very low, certainly no louder than the R710 itself (which I consider to be rather quiet for a rack server). If it's in the next room or behind a closet door you won't even notice it's there.

Now would I want it running on the desk next to me? No, but then again I wouldn't want an R710 there either. It does make noise but it's like a ceiling fan on high or maybe your typical portable house fan. No objectionable tone, no whistling or howling, but you can hear air moving.

MrBlc

Jun 8, 2017
Thank you!
That's basically what i found of information on another thread just yesterday. (haven't had time to put it up here yet)
The other user wrote that he measured around 63 dB in front and about 71 dB at the back of the unit when running.
This was measured with 10dB app for smartphone.
He didn't mention anything about whistling or howling, so you provided me with that little extra. :)

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I recently put an MD1200 on my R710 home server. The fan noise is very low, certainly no louder than the R710 itself (which I consider to be rather quiet for a rack server). If it's in the next room or behind a closet door you won't even notice it's there.

Now would I want it running on the desk next to me? No, but then again I wouldn't want an R710 there either. It does make noise but it's like a ceiling fan on high or maybe your typical portable house fan. No objectionable tone, no whistling or howling, but you can hear air moving.
Thank you!
That's basically what i found of information on another thread just yesterday. (haven't had time to put it up here yet)
The other user wrote that he measured around 63 dB in front and about 71 dB at the back of the unit when running.
This was measured with 10dB app for smartphone.
He didn't mention anything about whistling or howling, so you provided me with that little extra. :)
I came about this thread while researching this question. I think "loud" is so subjective, it's hard to get useful answer without a more objective measure; so thanks for the dB readings.

I've seen a lot of conflicting testimony on the noise level of the MD1200 in various corners of the Internet. But for anyone who may come about this thread, note that there are a lot of mentions of how incredibly loud (subjectively) the MD1200 is, such as:

Loud MD1200, and OSMA dont have configurable fan settings. - Dell Community

R720, MD1200, PERC H810 - Update and some info : homelab

Think I Messed Up on an MD1200/1220 : homelab

So, if anyone is looking for a quiet solution and considering the MD1200/1220, I would be cautious.

Reactions: frogtech