Looking for Insights About Electronic Fence

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ladyunicorn

May 14, 2017
Florida
I would like to know your thoughts about wireless dog fences. Would this be a good alternative or replacement to traditional fencing at home to set boundaries for pets? I know that this is not the right forum to talk about it, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Depends on the structure (different building materials affects range...just like wifi) and how exact you need to be for property lines. They do work and are easy to setup. Had one for a few days but took it back for a wired solution due to an irregular lot shape.

Reactions: ladyunicorn

ladyunicorn

May 14, 2017
Florida
Depends on the structure (different building materials affects range...just like wifi) and how exact you need to be for property lines. They do work and are easy to setup. Had one for a few days but took it back for a wired solution due to an irregular lot shape.
It is effective then I guess, thanks for the heads-up. BTW, the link that you have provided shows no result.

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
The e-fence effectiveness is inversely proportional to how motivated the dog is... our neighbor wired up 2 acres; his 2 dogs would honour the boundary right up until a deer would wander in, then away they went.

We are at the opposite end of that spectrum: 10 acres with 8' deer fence and 4' of 2" mesh wrapped 2' up and 2' out at the base. Our dogs (5) can't get out and critters (coyotes, porcupines) can't get in.

Reactions: ladyunicorn

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Depends on the pet for sure.

We have 2 dogs that are inside/outside and won't try to escape at all, in a fence or deck they'll stay... our other dog (outside/guardian) will dig under fence, she'll poke her head through every hoel to find an escape, even 4" field fence trying to climb through she even will bite and pull on the fence and try to 'move it'. I had some wood fencing blocking holes and she would grab it and drag it away to escape.

I ended up connecting the bottoms of the fence to the ground (spikes) so she can't pull it up or flex it, and also tightened the top line.

Going forward we're using 4' instead of 6' field fence and got the heavy duty high tensile fence this time... 4' will work as long as they can't climb onto something and get 'over'... 6' better for deer but 2-3x more $$ and we're only trying to do another 1k ft or so, already put up about 900 just for garden and chicken area.

I looked into electrical, too much work and too many issues to make it as effective as a good fence. I would also use the buried invisible fence for our inside dogs, my outside dog would just walk through it get shocked then run and hide far away based on my exp. with her and vibrate/beep collars too.

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
We were actively searching for an acreage and bought this before it hit the market; 80 acres 30 miles east of a Big City, was a deer farm. We kept the 10 acre perimeter fencing intact, but made it 2 acres of house/shop/grass/garden/trees and 8 in wild grass, trees and wet areas. The big dogs absolutely love it.