Looking for an inexpensive solution to build around M1015 HBAs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
No problems encountered on this board with ESXi 5 for me. Works fine although I am having fun trying to find out what USB ports are what so I can passthrough one to my WHS for backing up to a USB disk. As I installed ESXi to a USB stick, last time I tried I managed to passthrough the controller with the stick attached which caused all sort of issues once the server came up as I am sure you can imagine. Managed to recover and am taking a breather before trying that again.

The machine runs great with SSD, WD Scorpios and WD Black/Green 3.5" drives either on the M1015 or off the motherboard controller.

Note: I do not use the onboard NIC so do not know if it is supported. I only run with Intel NICs in the PCIe / PCI slots on the board. This is something I would checkout if you have not done so already.

The only thing is that it is still major overkill for what I am using it for but better than the same machine just being used to share files without ESXi on it.

RB

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Hello,

I've just purchased a few cheap IBM M1015 HBAs, and have learned that motherboard compatibility can be an issue.

I plan on using the system(s) for home lab test/dev work, and file serving.

I will probably load ESXi up on the boxes and would plan to have 4-6 VMs running fairly low loads.

I'd ideally like to virtualize the SAN as well, probably Nexenta Community Edition.

Any tips on Motherboard & Processors for this? I'm happy with either AMD or Intel. Best price to performance ratio always makes me smile.

Thanks in advance,

-- SS
Until recently my main server was an Asus KGPE-D16 motherboard and I ran it with an IBM M1015 card that had been re-flashed to LSI. In addition, I had three more LSI HBAs and an Asus PIKE RAID card (all based on the same SAS2008 controller) for a total of five LSI-based cards. All five controllers showed up under the single LSI firmware image, which was delightful. I am quite sure that it would have worked identically had they been five M1015 cards instead. The setup was rock solid reliable and insanely fast with two 8-core AMD processors. It was mostly a database machine but it also ran Hyper-V with 14 VMs.

At $400 it's not a cheap motherboard, but in a Norco chassis loaded brimming with drive bays and eBay-source RAID cards, it had an unbeatable price to performance ratio. The KGPE-D16 MOBO comes with web-based management standard, including web-based KVM, web based power on/off, and web-based temperature and fan monitoring. One little power saving trick I use is to run the machine on just a few cores in a single CPU but then use the web-based KVM to reboot in order to turn on the second CPU and the other cores when I needed the power.

By the way, I ended up losing the SAN altogether, using the Norco disk slots to create an SSD RAID array on the Windows 2008R2 host. The VMs each got a very healthy 500MB/Second disk I/O, even using dynamic disks and with multiple snapshots! I had a second array of huge/slow spinning disks that I used to provide large drives to the VMs that needed them.

The downside is that the Norco chassis are server-level loud unless you replace all six fans - and that's not cheap.

Last edited: