Looking for a tiny intel 12-gen computer with 2 Pcies

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

coolgarcon

Feb 3, 2022
Hello everyone. I was a bit upset when I learned the NCU12 only comes with one PCI-E. I am looking for a tiny computer (close to NCU9 size) with 10G ethernet connections and 2 Pcies. One for the graphic and the other for the capture card. Any suggestions?

Reactions: abq

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
You will not find one that tiny.

What size graphics card (1,2 or 3 slots widths wide)? HHHL (Half height Half Length)?

What I would recommend is a SFF case with a mATX motherboard. if the cards you are looking at are half height. then that should work for you.

Most consumer boards do not have 10 GB in the mATX form factor. you would need to go to server boards for that or add a 10GB NIC in a 3rd slot.

possibly this https://www.servethehome.com/intel-nuc9vxqnx-nuc-review-xeon-quartz-canyon/
you would have to deal with the 2 x 1GB nics.

Chris

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
This is all but impossible to do without some major compromises, even when going the custom built route. NUCs are consumer machines so Intel is going to go for the base use case. Never going to happen.

AFAIK, there aren’t any suitable mITX custom cases that support this. 3 slots would require mDTX support at a minimum, assuming that the 10 GbE NIC is going to run off a PCIe riser from a M.2 x4, and a slot configuration that supports a dual x8 riser, assuming the main PCIe slot can be bifurcated. There are a few mDTX mobos but they are all the ASUS Impact line which are hideously expensive.

Best bet would be a mATX mobo in a case as small as you can get, possibly a Sliger (which is also expensive).

Reactions: coolgarcon

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
There is now Dragon Canyon, it is an upgrade to Quartz Canyon. it will have 2 PCIe slots. 3 * m.2 (PCIe 4.0) slots and both 2.5 GB and 10 GB networking included. base price is $1150 (i-7) and goes to almost $2000 (I-9 + new video card) depending on configuration.

it is also using a desktop processor instead of a laptop processor.

it is due out 2Q/2022.

Chris