Looking for a replacement of LSI 9266-8i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Antoine.

Oct 14, 2015
Strasbourg, France
Hello!

I'm building a HTPC (Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Streacom F12C enclosure, ASRock Extreme4 motherboard) and part of my plan was to have an integrated RAID array in it (1st interaction with RAID) Reading positive things about LSI, I chose the 9266-8i with CacheVault Protection, and 5 WD Red 4TB (RAID5). I didn't have any problem with it (easy setup) especially since I managed to grab it at less than 400 Euros from the Amazon Refurb Store. But then I realized I couldn't have the card spin down active but unsolicited HDDs (which brings a good deal of noise reduction). It is a dealbreaker for me. I read that some of you managed to have the card do exactly that. Although a tempting solution, the procedure seems quite beyond my capability... so I'm looking for a replacement.

Is Adaptec 6805 a good choice? I read that performance aren't quite on par with that of LSI, but being that Adaptec seems to be defending their "Intelligent Power Management" (which I take to include active discs spindown capability) and being that the RAID array is going to be used as a media storage unit, I wonder if I will ever notice a difference? Are there other downsides I'm not considering when comparing the 2 cards?

Feel free to propose other alternatives (in the same price range).

Antoine

Last edited:

snakyjake

Jan 22, 2014
What controls the drive spin down: The controller, the OS, or the drive?

The problem I have with hardware RAID is striped drives; if you need a file, all drives spin.

Antoine.

Oct 14, 2015
Strasbourg, France
What controls the drive spin down: The controller, the OS, or the drive?

The problem I have with hardware RAID is striped drives; if you need a file, all drives spin.
I'm no expert but I think it is the RAID controller that controls exclusively this... The striping is not an issue since they only contain files that are typically not accessed to most of the times (movies, series, etc.). I would still benefit from being capable of having the drives powered off, esp. when I'm using it "blindly", as a musical source (the audio files being on a different drive, a SSD).