Looking for a recommendation of a 22110 (or 2280) that is cool to the touch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
Hey!

I am building a R5S-based box and need a recommendation for a cool (as in "not HOT") NVMe. I only have one lead so far: Samsung 980. If you have any other leads for a 22110 (or 2280) based NVMe storage, please let me know. The less heat, the better, I am going for a passively cooled appliance.

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
SK Hynix P31 !!!

Two years ago, looking for performance in a 1TB M.2 NVMe drive, I bought one each P31, WD SN750, Adata SX8200 Pro and Sam 970+; and tested the hell out of them. I've bought 10 more P31s since (and no more of the others). (only later did I discover the cool runnings of the P31--just icing on the cake.)

Since it was convenient, I just ran a little test on a workstation that has a P31, Adata 500GB, P41 Plat, & SolidGM P44 pro in it. Quantitative results attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

sko

Jun 11, 2021
Samsung drives are space heaters. Compared to them every other vendor is better in terms of heat (and reliability, and firmware quality...)

We've had good good experiences with WD Blue in a bunch of NUCs and fanless embedded devices (e.g. topton networking/router appliances). They have very low power draw and hence low heat dissipation. For low-endurance applications they are great and pretty cheap too.
Of course, if you hit any drive with constantly high I/O, anything will get hot without any cooling. But as you are talking about a 'passively cooled appliance' I'm assuming some networking gear that has almost no regular I/O apart from logfiles.

Last edited:

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
I ordered a P31/2TB (thanks @UhClem ), let's see how it behaves. :) I will cross check with a bunch of Samsungs and Teamgroups I have lying around. I might have some ADATAs as well. Thanks guys! (I ended up skipping 530s as I do not need a gen4 and I was not willing to pay premium for a 510 from Seagate). Let's see, if it runs hot, we will be off to the next one.

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Bad marketing...
Agreed
what about IceCuda, FrostCuda or ArcticCuda? :p
You're getting warm, but ...
the winner might be CoolCuda. [It was staring you in the face (above).]
Conveys the message, and, it's fun to say.

All of this leaves aside that the barracuda has a very nasty disposition.
I've caught hundreds; thankfully, none caught me.

• Haha
Reactions: mr44er

edge

Apr 22, 2013
Agreed

You're getting warm, but ...
the winner might be CoolCuda. [It was staring you in the face (above).]
Conveys the message, and, it's fun to say.

All of this leaves aside that the barracuda has a very nasty disposition.
I've caught hundreds; thankfully, none caught me.
CudaCool. CoolCuda's rhythm is a spondee which might work in latin, but not so well in English. CudaCool is strong weak strong which fits rhythmically into most sentences easily.

• Love
Reactions: mr44er

cowonmars

Apr 5, 2023
I ordered a P31/2TB (thanks @UhClem ), let's see how it behaves. :) I will cross check with a bunch of Samsungs and Teamgroups I have lying around. I might have some ADATAs as well. Thanks guys! (I ended up skipping 530s as I do not need a gen4 and I was not willing to pay premium for a 510 from Seagate). Let's see, if it runs hot, we will be off to the next one.
Any update on the temps? I need a cool drive with decent endurance for an itx build.

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
Any update on the temps? I need a cool drive with decent endurance for an itx build.
Actually, I think I owe you guys a follow up. The project for now, has been suspended, as in, I am sourcing NanoPi R6C, but it will take a few weeks (shipment from China). So for now, I put the P31 inside the Icy Dock AC MB861U31-1M2B I got from Provantage and I started using it with my MBP. I am VERY impressed with both speeds and temps, I might not take it out when the board arrives. :) The device is barely warm to the touch (as in... barely, maybe just a couple degrees warmer over ambient) after sitting on my desk for 8+ hours. It is def. a very good recommendation and thank you guys for that. I will follow up with more details when the board arrives.

Reactions: ColdCanuck

cowonmars

Apr 5, 2023
I ended up purchasing a 1tb p31 to replace a hot, dying (from 100% to 90% health in 38 days) micron 2200 m.2 that I wasn't even running any vm's off of - just proxmox boot. The P31 is indeed about 4c cooler. I was able to move multiple busy vm's (300gb total) to the p31, lower my fan curves and still maintain healthy temps. This is in a home ITX server.

Attachments

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
I know you want passive-only, but maybe useful for others: I'm happy with the IcyBox SSD M.2 IB-M2HSF-703 active cooled. It has length for 2280, but it fits on 22110 and does the job for the hotspots.