Looking for a HDMI KVM switch for dual monitors, attached to 2 to 3 PC. Has to have real EDID

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
So i see several KVM switches sold on amazon and newegg, but they all have emulated EDID, i am looking for a DUal monitor KVM Switch preferably hdmi with Real EDID switching, so basically a corporate grade device.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Can you describe the difference between 'real' and 'emulated' EDID? I'm using a TESmart switch with 'emulated' EDID and it works fine, does exactly what I want, so I'm curious :)

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
I think the way simulated EDID works is if the devices like mouse, keyboard or monitors are or get disconnected the kvm switch will not pick up the disconnection, whereas a real edid based kvm switch gets real time connection info..

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
EDID is only related to the display, I don't think it has anything to do with input devices at all.

Can you describe the situation you are trying to resolve by using 'real' instead of 'emulated' EDID?

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I have an IOGear dual DVI KVM switch that I use with HDMI via converter dongles.

All of the high end IOGear KVMs work by grabbing the monitor EDID when either the KVM or monitor is turned on, or if the monitor is unplugged and switched. This is then stored and passed on the to computers, so they think they are always connected to the monitor and can stay at the correct resolution. Based on descriptions, this appears to be "emulated" EDID, and it works flawlessly and is what you should be looking for.

Otherwise, it's just like manually unplugging and plugging the monitors, which means 5-30 seconds to sync up, plus desktop resolution changes and windows get moved around, etc.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
Can you describe the difference between 'real' and 'emulated' EDID? I'm using a TESmart switch with 'emulated' EDID and it works fine, does exactly what I want, so I'm curious :)
Can you lookup ur Tesmart KVM switch Model number and post it here, I will order the same one, looks like i am trying to achieve the same as you.

seany

Jul 14, 2021
Does it need to be HDMI? I have a iogear gcs1944 that I've been very happy with, but that's display port. Past that I think you get into funky matrix switch stuff.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Does it need to be HDMI? I have a iogear gcs1944 that I've been very happy with, but that's display port.
Note that DisplayPort is HDMI, if you use a DisplayPort to HDMI converter with a DisplayPort source and an HDMI connector on the monitor.

When a DisplayPort source tries to figure out the specs of the monitor it is connected to, if it gets the information that the connection is HDMI, it stops doing anything DisplayPort related and starts sending HDMI over the cable. So, at that point, it's HDMI to HDMI.