Looking for a CPU/MB combo in mini ITX, iGPU and quick sync, and ECC support

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations for a CPU and motherboard combo in mini-ITX format, with iGPU and Quick Sync support capable of 4k video, and ECC RAM support. Something older and cheap (on used market) would be preferred.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. :)

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
quick sync 4k vid... and something older... thats quite up-high requirement.
I never done quick sync; so i can't be sure; tho i know that people running 4k HEVC 10bit H264 got around 20fps on kaby lake.
Thus i think your best bet would be Comet Lake CPU's, or Alder Lake to get 30-40FPS for 4k.
(i5-12600K potentially good option - that should do.)

(below list)

Reactions: BLinux

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
For HEVC (which most 4K video is), you need a post-Kaby Lake Intel CPU. I think basically any will do; I've heard many reports of more than 5 simultaneous 1080p transcodes.

Combining that with ITX and ECC is the tricky part; there are very few options there. Unless you're really attached to ITX or need bulk internal storage picking up something like an HP Z2 is going to be cheaper, smaller, and easier to come by.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Intel 9100 supports ECC, QuickSync and is Coffee Lake.
Add a SM ITX board, and ECC RAM and off you go.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Supermicro X11SCL-IF or Asrock C236 C246 wsi boards is what T_minus referring.

BUT, ITX Boards are not cheap today , I would said NO to $250 and up for older generation ITX.

BTW, During the pandemic years, I brought quite a few C236, C246 ITX boards under $100 each.
Yes :( Sadly it seems ITX boards are "never" cheap, they don't make enough :D :D \ sell enough I guess.

I paid around 200\ea for mine before prices went up up too, but that was new\retail.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
Supermicro X11SCL-IF or Asrock C236 C246 wsi boards is what T_minus referring.

BUT, ITX Boards are not cheap today , I would said NO to $250 and up for older generation ITX.

BTW, During the pandemic years, I brought quite a few C236, C246 ITX boards under $100 each.
Are you sure that a C242 board can use the iGPU, there was something with the C232 vs. C236 in that respect (I ran into it).

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
In 2023, I taking a different route.

Storax kickstart project
for $229 + shipping, 5 drive bay, N6005 with 4 x 2.5gbe .
I am backing 2 units.

If ECC is needed, upgrade with AMD CPU
I have been looking at that thread for a while, and the only major problem I have with that board is that it does not have a) SFP+ and b) IPMI / vPro iKVM (I would prefer vPro iKVM as it only uses 3w). Otherwise it's close to perfect.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
If you are already a backer, there are many upgrade ( extra money ) available .

Intel I7 or I5 with vpro/amt upgrade , 2 x 10gbe .
AMD cpu upgrade with ecc ram as well.

If not using I7 with vpro then a Pi KVM works very well .

I am backing 2 base units, N6005 is perfect for my usage, equivalent to I5-7500 cpu passmark.
I am not planning to run any VM only docker.

If I need to run vm, buy tiny with I5-8500T ($110) or I5-10500T ($200) , add lots of local nvme drive,
connects to NAS via 2.gbe for storage.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Are you sure that a C242 board can use the iGPU, there was something with the C232 vs. C236 in that respect (I ran into it).
iGPU with E3 Xeon chipsets (C2xx) is a convoluted mess for sure. For boards that have a BMC with graphics, both ASRock and Supermicro cut corners on some and didn't add the traces necessary for iGPU to function. Maybe others did too? But, in other cases, they kept the functionality active. Not a ton of rhyme or reason on which ones do and don't support it though. You kind of have to check model by model.

Using Supermicro C236 Chipset boards as an example: my X11SSW-F doesn't work with iGPU at all, but X11SSW-TF, supports QSV. Even though X11SSW-TF supports QSV for transcoding, the actual video output on the back of the board is still via the BMC (AST2400). OTOH, the workstation oriented X11SAE supports both QSV and graphics output via the iGPU. None of these are ITX though...just examples I'm familiar with.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
iGPU with E3 Xeon chipsets (C2xx) is a convoluted mess for sure. For boards that have a BMC with graphics, both ASRock and Supermicro cut corners on some and didn't add the traces necessary for iGPU to function. Maybe others did too? But, in other cases, they kept the functionality active. Not a ton of rhyme or reason on which ones do and don't support it though. You kind of have to check model by model.

Using Supermicro C236 Chipset boards as an example: my X11SSW-F doesn't work with iGPU at all, but X11SSW-TF, supports QSV. Even though X11SSW-TF supports QSV for transcoding, the actual video output on the back of the board is still via the BMC (AST2400). OTOH, the workstation oriented X11SAE supports both QSV and graphics output via the iGPU. None of these are ITX though...just examples I'm familiar with.
I got my E3 1245v6 to work on an X11SSH-F and E3C236D2I no problem at all, both of them are C236 boards. I since then moved to an X10SDV-6C+ as I hardly ever need transcoding and because my E3C236D2I died (fw crc fails, and I can't be bothered to fix it).

I do prefer BMC as I the PI KVM cost more than the extra cost of BMC and there are less moving parts and cables. The major problem with BMC is that SM's implementation of the AST chip uses 7-9w where ASROCK can do with with ~3-6w and vPro iKVM uses around 3w. I know it's not a lot, but I like to save power where power can be saved. 5 spinning HD's uses a lot ... compared.

I hope we'll see a Mini-ITX board with BMC and SPF+ and support for iGPU which will support for Gen 10 and later CPUs. But we will see, we will see.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hello

The Supermicro X11SSV-M4 or-M4F might fit these requirements.

Capture 5.JPG

Getting one for an acceptable price, humm....

Good luck.

RedX1