Looking for a case for the Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ (SC836BA-R920B)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

usao

Jan 15, 2023
Ive had no luck contacting Supermicro, seems they reject gmail addresses.
Im in the Phoenix area and looking for a rackmount case for the Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ motherboard. Its an EE-ATX.
What I found is the Supermicro SC836BA-R920B, but cant reach supermicro to ask for availability

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
No need to ask Supermicro when the product page for that chassis specifically lists that motherboard as compatible. Have a look at the parts list tab. Are you looking specifically at things available locally? As someone that's also in Phoenix, there's not much.

usao

Jan 15, 2023
No need to ask Supermicro when the product page for that chassis specifically lists that motherboard as compatible. Have a look at the parts list tab. Are you looking specifically at things available locally? As someone that's also in Phoenix, there's not much.
Yes, im looking to get one but i cant get hold of a sales rep. Their web page wont accept my gmail address.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Not going to get a sales rep for a single chassis. You can buy from any of their distributors. I think a better question is, why would you get a brand new chassis ($1k+) for a 12 year old motherboard?

usao

Jan 15, 2023
Not going to get a sales rep for a single chassis. You can buy from any of their distributors. I think a better question is, why would you get a brand new chassis ($1k+) for a 12 year old motherboard?
It's the only chassis I know of which can support the EE-ATX motherboard. Im open to other rackmount options if you know of any.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
There are lots. Any other requirements? Just doesn't make sense to get an expensive chassis for such a motherboard when you could get a whole newer system for considerably less.

Reactions: nexox

usao

Jan 15, 2023
There are lots. Any other requirements? Just doesn't make sense to get an expensive chassis for such a motherboard when you could get a whole newer system for considerably less.
Yea, basically looking for a rackmount server which can hold full-height GPU's. I liked the fact that it had multiple 3.5" drive bays, and it also had 2x 2.5" drive bays in the rear for the hypervisor OS.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
You're going to find it's not great chassis for that. There are no PCIe power connectors for one. If you want multiple GPUs, just go pick up a 6028U series system off eBay and toss your current motherboard. Cheaper, newer, and higher performance.

usao

Jan 15, 2023
You're going to find it's not great chassis for that. There are no PCIe power connectors for one. If you want multiple GPUs, just go pick up a 6028U series system off eBay and toss your current motherboard. Cheaper, newer, and higher performance.
That case is not listed to support the EE-ATX motherboard though.
Also, being 2U I don't think it will support full height GPU.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Right, it doesn't need to. The whole point is you can get a whole new system, including motherboard, chassis, CPUs, RAM, etc, for less than the cost of the chassis you're looking it. Just toss your ancient X9 motherboard.

That system does support multiple full height GPUs. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.

usao

Jan 15, 2023
Right, it doesn't need to. The whole point is you can get a whole new system, including motherboard, chassis, CPUs, RAM, etc, for less than the cost of the chassis you're looking it. Just toss your ancient X9 motherboard.

That system does support multiple full height GPUs. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.
That motherboard was very expensive. I can't just throw it away. I need to find a case for it specifically.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Sure, it was expensive a decade ago. Today, that motherboard is worth all of $50 (go check eBay) and is just about electronic waste. Why the attachment to it when you can get something better in every single way for less money?

Reactions: nexox

usao

Jan 15, 2023
Sure, it was expensive a decade ago. Today, that motherboard is worth all of $50 (go check eBay) and is just about electronic waste. Why the attachment to it when you can get something better in every single way for less money?
Look, I already bought this board with all the components. Im not going to waste it by throwing it away. It doen't matter that you can find it cheap on ebay. I already have it in my possession, so I need to find a case for it.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Sunken cost fallacy. You're going to spend more money to find a chassis for it than just to buy something else that's better and meets your other requirements. No matter how much you paid for it, even if you throw it out, the net outcome is less money spent overall if you just buy something else instead. Best of luck.

Reactions: nabsltd

nexox

May 3, 2023
Likely the cheapest way to get a chassis that fits is to buy a full server and take out the motherboard it comes with, and there's a good chance that your X9 system will be a downgrade. Broadwell servers are so cheap that I now have a small collection of X10 boards because I needed a couple cases for Skylake builds and buying them empty actually cost more. The 6028U is really a good choice if you want to run GPUs, maybe you can make a few dollars selling your X9 stuff on ebay - I feel like it's not worth the effort so I tend to give them away for the price of shipping at this point.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Sunken cost fallacy.
Yeah, if you've already got something and it works, even if it's old, then, cool, hang on to it until you need something better.

But if you need to spend money to make it work, then it's just like starting with nothing...figure out what solves the problem for the lowest additional money.

usao

Jan 15, 2023
I can't replace this motherboard, it woiuld be too expensive with current generation. I do need to find some sort of case though. I think it would be cheaper to find a case than to try and replace the motherboard with modern one.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Except it isn't when a newer board with GPU capable chassis is $250 shipped. Good luck finding a chassis alone for that much.

usao

Jan 15, 2023
I simply cannot afford a newer motherboard with the same components as what I got. I need to find a way to make the existing motherboard work. Any other option is simply not affordable. If I can find a chassis with the same motherboard then I can swap them out. So, any chassis combination will work as long as the motherboard fits. Even if I have to scrap the motherboard which is already in the chassis