Looking for a 1u Redundant PSU Chassis with 2 x 2.5 bays

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
I have a PFSENSE Firewall based on a Supermicro X11SCL-LN4F board in a Supermicro 1U SC510-203B Chassis. This chassis has a single PSU, and no hotswap 2.5" bays. I am using a single PCIE card (ConnectX3 10Gb NIC)

Recently I had my SSD die, and its a real pain as I have to remove the chassis from the rack to remove the top cover. I also don't like that this chassis only has a single PSU

Can anyone suggest a chassis?

* Must be 1u
* Supermicro preferred for easy front panel connections
* Short Depth would be ideal due to location in my rack
* Redundant PSU's (Preferable easy to find! IE: Supermicro)
* 2 x 2.5" bays on the front
* Rear IO

I can't for the life of me seem to find something that matches this, so I'm open to alternatives. Surely this must exist!

I will update as I find options, as I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for this

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
SuperChassis 510T-203B is perfect apart from no redundant PSU

Also, pretty pricey used

But, I would then have an identical spare PSU

Reactions: nexox

nexox

May 3, 2023
I was just about to mention the SC510T, unfortunately redundant power supplies generally require a deeper chassis since the modules themselves are narrower and they have a PDB stuck to the end of the pair. I estimate just the PSU assembly in my CSE-815 is about twice as deep as your entire chassis, and that's not particularly large as far as 1U power supplies go.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
The CSE-815 is on my radar, it may be my best choice. Sadly I will then also need to purchase some rails, bumping up the cost, and I will need some 3.5 to 2.5 adapters

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
Haha, I have that open as well as this one

I could probably use that RAID Card, looks to be SAS3 too. As long as I can flash it to IT mode, I can use it in my secondary TrueNAS box, the card in there is on its last legs

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
I did think about just not going down the redundant PSU route, but honestly if the PSU failed on Friday, what a ruined weekend!

nexox

May 3, 2023
Yeah I didn't really need more 2TB drives or a hardware RAID controller so I got the $90 option from the same seller, as the only useful difference for $60 was the memory, which is only worth $20-30. It did come with the x16 riser and all the trays, packed pretty well.

I did think about just not going down the redundant PSU route, but honestly if the PSU failed on Friday, what a ruined weekend!
I just have an entire backup router I can (manually) swap in when necessary, since I do the router-on-a-stick thing it's pretty easy to throw an old (enough to have a wired 1G port) laptop on any available trunk port.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
Do you just restore the entire config, or just have one configured similarly?

I did toy with the idea of just throwing a pfsense VM in ESXi, configured with all the same VLAN's etc. If I could find a way to sync DHCP/DNS/Wireguard config, that would be easy

I could terminate WAN into a switch, and so they could both easily have access

nexox

May 3, 2023
Unsynched and very minimal iptables on the laptop, had to set it up from scratch in a hurry when my old router failed to boot and I didn't have a VGA monitor available, so of course it only ran for about two years like that...

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
Of course, I had an ERL which failed and I temporarily ran PFSENSE in a VM for 4 years

Ended up switching to physical and never did plug in the ERL again...

nexox

May 3, 2023
I do want to set up VRRP one day and make everything automatic, but I have so many other projects to procrastinate first.

nexox

May 3, 2023
I haven't actually run the fans in the chassis I linked, just tilted a 120mm against the CPU heatsink for testing, but I have a different 815 that came with dual 3647 CPUs and that one is definitely too loud to run next to my desk for long even at idle, these fans look the same so I assume the noise is too, I can try it out tomorrow.

nexox

May 3, 2023
I fired it up, turns out it does have tandem fans, but apparently not the 14k RPM models I'm used to. I plugged them all into the numbered fan outputs, because Supermicro tends to keep the A/B outputs at 100% PWM, and after it booted up it went from kinda loud to only moderately loud - I wouldn't really want to have it sitting next to my desk all day, but it wouldn't really bother me either, if I put it in a closet across the room I think I would barely notice it.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
Is it mainly an air sound, or is it the horrible small fan sound?

I may bite the bullet, really want those redundant PSU's!

nexox

May 3, 2023
There's not much of the 1U jet engine whine even when the fans spin up to full at boot, so I guess mostly air/wind sound.