LOL @ this AD on this forum

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm in advertising and online marketing I'm aware of how targeting and re-targeting works in-depth and I have NEVER visited any site that would re-target me like that. It must be from on-page phrase/keyword match... or see below.

Honestly, my browsing history is nearly identical day after day :) and today was the 1st day I saw it. I'm thinking new ad campaign and/or someone is keyword fishing matching broadly... still thought it was funny because I've NEVER visited a dating site or even IMGUR or other sites like that which do much broader ad matching and are looser with their guidelines directly and through networks.

Maybe I got a cookie dropped on me from a 3rd-party and firefox didn't warn. FireFox has been acting bitchy lately... every time a new update comes out the old one seems to magically start crashing. The problem I have is then roboform/lastpass stop working for 1Day-1Week usually, and that can't happen, LOL!

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
HMM, another thought is ServeThehome AdSense setting may be allowing certain categories of ads I don't normally see on the sites I visit. IE: Dating category.

The targeting was def. due to the conversation though. The page this ad was on mentioned: male, age, family and other really specific demo identifiers which may have set off a very specific ad campaign.

Oh, how I love deconstructing possibilities for targeting.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Well EXCUSE ME for making the scenery of your profile page more pleasant, jeez... instead of getting boring ads for other stuff, you get some eye candy, can't please people

Those of us who earn a living from advertising online appreciate it.
Agreed, I worked in online ad serving/platform for 6 years and as much as I hate some of the annoying styles of online ads, they pay the bills (my company were mostly non-intrusive). It actually freaked me out the first time I saw an ad I designed/produced run on a major network. I do block ads but currently have it off for select sites that I like (this being one of them).
@Patrick, this goes back to the subscription/monetization thread I saw a few weeks ago, perhaps a perk for paid members is to have ad-free experience? I know a few places offer that, not sure about take rate or revenue breakdowns but could be an idea.