Living the dream, building our own server room from scratch!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
legen,

I want to learn more about your SAN build. The SAN that I would like build will be used to serve up ISCSI targets for my ESXi host(s) and Windows shares for my Kodi (XMBC) streaming devices. I want the SAN to have a 10Gbe connection to the ESXi host(s) and 1Gbe connection to my production network. I want to isolate the iSCSI target on its own storage network as well. I have 2 of the Quanta LB4M switches as well.

Can you provide me more details on the SAN build and what OS you are using? I would like to would use Windows Server 2012 as the OS but I am open to other operating systems.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
legen,

I want to learn more about your SAN build. The SAN that I would like build will be used to serve up ISCSI targets for my ESXi host(s) and Windows shares for my Kodi (XMBC) streaming devices. I want the SAN to have a 10Gbe connection to the ESXi host(s) and 1Gbe connection to my production network. I want to isolate the iSCSI target on its own storage network as well. I have 2 of the Quanta LB4M switches as well.

Can you provide me more details on the SAN build and what OS you are using? I would like to would use Windows Server 2012 as the OS but I am open to other operating systems.
Hi. You can find all the details and the current status in this thread:https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/ha-san-build-recommendations.5999/page-2

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
3 new E3-1271v3, 32GB RAM supermicro servers arrived today,

Will be used for testing our soon to be new SAN solution, current performance bottlenecks and to extend our xenserver pool.

Will get some more picutres one we have them mounted and up and running!

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
Hey all, vacation times so updates have been sparse :)

We have received the new SAN which consists of one JBOD (34x 1TB SAS 7200rpm drives, 2x ZeusRAM). Will add some SAS SSDs for L2ARC if needed.
The head nodes are Supermicro 6028R-TRT with 2xE5-2620V3 and 128GB DDR4 ECC with LSI 9300-8e for connections to the JBOD.

They are located above the C6100 machines in the picture.

We have some work to do before we can start them (UPSes are ordered) but when they arrive we will start evaluating the HA software (Open-E JovianDSS).

EDIT: To clarify what we see in this rack from the top:
- 4x Quanta LB4M switches
- 5x Supermicro E3-1271v3, 32GB RAM
- 1x Supermicro (old san) 8xM500 1TB SSDs, 2xL5520, 32GB RAM
- 2x Supermicro (new san) head nodes
- 1x Supermicro JBOD
- 2x Dell C6100 (L5520, 96GB RAM)
- 1x Dell 2950

Last edited:
Reactions: NetWise and Krazos

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
34, 1TB... curious why you stayed at that capacity?

Krazos

Jun 6, 2013
Sweden
License costs. It's very expensive and this is sufficient for us.

Also. This is just for VM's. Not backup or other kind of storage. We'll buy a backup server for that soon with more capacity and without these expensive licenses.

Reactions: T_Minus

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
Like Krazos said it was due to licensing. Open-E JovianDSS licensing is very nice compared to other zfs products in the market since you only pay for usable storage when using mirrors (like we do). So instead of a 32TB RAW license we need "only" to buy a 16TB license since that is the usable storage we end up with (ZIL, L2ARC, spares etc do not count).

I was thinking the ones with the X10SLM-LN4F motherboards and redundant power supplies.
Im not sure what machines you mean here? From the top we have 4x quanta LB4M. Below that we have the SM E3-1271v3 machines using X10SLM+-LN4F-B motherboards :)