Linux with Hyper-V write issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

espeneppi

May 15, 2011
Hello, new to this forum.

So i have put together my new Hyper-V box, and wanted to try out Linux since the integrations services support some of them.
But having big problems when i transfer data to either the IDE or SCSI drives with samba that i have attached to this CentOS machine.
Write performance is poor and degrades quickly and the virtual machine almost stops responding. Same result with both Ubuntu and CentOS with integrations services installed.
Any pointers you guys can give me? :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
One of the big reasons I don't do many Hyper-V and Linux articles is that I've had pretty hit and miss results with the setup. It is a bummer since Hyper-V really needs to be excellent with Linux to go after ESXi.

One thing I have noticed is that you need to make sure you have plenty of CPU with Hyper-V or else the vNICs give sub-par performance.

espeneppi

May 15, 2011
Ok, i see.
So, if one wants to run Linux alongside Windows the best option would be esxi?

The reason i choose Hyper-V, was that i do not have a RAID controller and that Windows Server 2008 offered software RAID 5 that i enabled with 4x2TB Sata disks that i could use for storing the VM`s.
Maybe i will get a Dell Perc 5/i to use with ESXi.