Linux vs. Unix - Which Do You Prefer, and Why?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Sep 13, 2020
Edge of the Multiverse
If an admin sees this, please move this to General Chat if applicable. I dropped this off in the wrong place by accident :|

I've been casually using Linux (mostly Arch-based distros) for the past few years. While they have done well at satisfying my needs, I know that Unix/BSD exists as well. For those of you who have used, or currently use, Unix/BSD of some sort, these questions are aimed at you.
  1. Which one(s) do you prefer, for what workloads/tasks?
  2. What are the major pain points for Unix/BSD, Linux?
  3. Which one do you currently use more often, and why?
For these, I want to hear from those who have used the software in question. Installation, configuration, troubleshooting and recovery/rescue, etc.

I've been looking at BSD for a while myself, but never have gone for it. Perhaps it's time for me to give it a go?

EDIT: This is in the wrong subforum. Trying to find a way to move it now...

Last edited:

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Used everything between the decades from Linux (RedHat, SuSE, Debian, Ubuntu for servers, desktop), OpenBSD for firewall, NetBSD for router, FreeBSD for general servers. These days I just use Arch for everything because
  1. Compatibility with new hardware is Linux-first from most manufacturers. See e.g. Clear Linux from Intel or the Raspberry Pi archlinuxarm.org variant. A conditio sine qua non for me.
  2. Unencumbered from commercial interests. Looking at RHEL=IBM, Ubuntu, not free enough for me.
  3. Has the software I want (systemd for elegant startup config of alot of stuff I usually run, also daemon sandboxing for better security; ungoogled-chromium, palemoon; LTS kernels; i3 window manager because that is the way). Has ALL the software I could EVER want, because AUR is just that encompassing.
  4. ZFS file system support, granted that's in AUR repository. When data integrity matters. Matters to me. Like consistency. Currently using ZFS snapshots to backup 50 TB of data to LTO tape with Bareos backup software I packaged on Arch.
  5. I've become quite proficient at packaging and porting software to Arch PKGBUILD. Couple days ago I ported Mellanox Flash Tools from RPM to PKGBUILD, including DKMS kernel modules. Took me only an evening. Which is a testament to its user friendlyness, power and flexibility. As it should be, vis-a-vis convoluted .deb or .rpm. Try to build a custom kernel with only one setting different on Ubuntu, the convoluted process will drive you nuts.
I have a feeling the Steam Deck will propel gaming on Linux to being 1st tier this decade. Arch will see those innovations also first.