Linux Based Virtual Workstation/KVM Idea

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
Question: With a set of Proxmox Servers is there a way to setup a Thin Client/PXE/Live CD on a NUC, RPi, or ?? using VNC or SPICE that could act as a KVM w/ Audio for the VMs?

Explanation: Right now I have two servers running proxmox and a QNAP. I would like to setup a computer for my son to use so he can start learning how to use a computer. Since I'm doing this I was thinking it would be interesting to use the Proxmox servers or Linux Station on the QNAP to setup a Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse, and Speakers that we could use as a "console" to a VM. Ideally I would have an interface with a selection of several VMs to connect to (maybe with passwords or something) and he could pick his and I could use it for mine. I was thinking of virtualizing it so it would be easy to restore if he did something... and I could also setup Windows, Linux, OSX, etc all as VMs.

I have looked at VDI and terminal services type things. But was looking for a bit of guidance if anyone knew anything that would work well for this idea.

Does this even make sense or am I making it way more complicated?

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
Basically thinking about it like a thin client/zero client based interface with KVM and Audio as an interface into a bunch of VMs (right now ideally proxmox).... but just an idea. Looking ideas at this point?

As if I had 6 different computers connected with a single KVM switch.... Just all virtual....

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
For everything but full-screen games you should be set with a small linux box with RDP to connect to a windows VM, and VNC for others. The RPi Thin client project that @manxam mentioned looks pretty sweet way to get up and running quick. I'll have to give it a try.

kcallis

Jul 4, 2018
I have just ran across this thread. I followed the link that @manxam, but I see that a this project is geared towards VMWare/Citrix. How does one apply this for Proxmox? Although I tend to push linux where ever I can, my 13 year old son would like to be able to use Windows for school, etc. So I thought it would be interesting to setup up Windows Server 2008 on Proxmox and then use a TC for him to access.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Hello @kcallis, the RPi thin project doesn't connect to the host, just the guest via RDP, VNC, or VMware Horizons. If your son is using a Windows server guest, then he should be able to use the above w/o issue.

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
On my Proxmox VE server I have a windows 10 VM installed on it's own SSD with AMD GPU passed through acting as a gaming machine with a pi connected to a TV so I can play steam games. passthrough and the vm stuff is standard linux stuff. Works really enjoyably great. I have another windows 10 VM that just clone so I can blow it away without issue, when I connect to it I use spice and it handles duel 1080p monitors no issue

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
I have found that GPU pass through works better on E5 than on E3 based platforms. I don't know whether that is due to the fact that I never managed to untangle the IOMMU groups on E3, or because there is no proper PCIe Access/Addressing Control on E3, but I never got it to work.

My current workstation is an X9SRA with a Xeon E5-1660v2 in it. I boot the host off an el-cheapo GPU I had lying around, and I pass through the 1080ti, a USB controller, the board's sound card, and a virtual function of the X520-DA1 to the VM. The host runs Proxmox VE, the guest Debian Buster (or Windows 10, in another VM, only one at a time of course).

Works well; gaming on 4k is smooth, and it works well as a workstation, too.

I am haven't been able to do this with a fully headless just yet, so without the small GPU. I may be possible though; I don't know.

Reactions: MikeWebb

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
I forgot to add:
I'm doing this on a X11 motherboard, I posted the IOMMU grouping info here
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-groupings-for-x11sph-nctf.20419/#post-193726

My GPU is currently connected to a monitor. For headless, consumer (GTX and RX) need a dongle to "trick" them.

When I go headless, I'm debating either the dongle or biting the bullet and hunting down a second hand Nvidia grid card which will also give me SRIOV. Perfect for VDI