Likely going to start playing with fiber - what to look out for?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
I'm in the same boat. I already have Cat5e where I want to run the fiber which means it might be an issue to pull LC connectors through the holes that are slightly larger than the Cat5e cable.
I was also looking into BiDi SFP+ modules and a single-mode LC cable (1270nm/1330nm).
I see fiberstore sell pre-terminated with pull sock. I already have some spare cable braids so I guess I could fashion this myself to allow the LC plug to slip through (by squeesing in the locking tab).
Do you think this would work?

I see several Solid Optics SFP+ modules that could work on eBay but they are a bit expensive.
BiDi-10G Optical Transceivers - Solid Optics

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
I'm in the same boat. I already have Cat5e where I want to run the fiber which means it might be an issue to pull LC connectors through the holes that are slightly larger than the Cat5e cable.
I was also looking into BiDi SFP+ modules and a single-mode LC cable (1270nm/1330nm).
I see fiberstore sell pre-terminated with pull sock. I already have some spare cable braids so I guess I could fashion this myself to allow the LC plug to slip through (by squeesing in the locking tab).
Do you think this would work?

I see several Solid Optics SFP+ modules that could work on eBay but they are a bit expensive.
BiDi-10G Optical Transceivers - Solid Optics
This is personal preference and really only you can decide what direction you want to go in. You should always keep in mind the "What if" factor so if you are going to pull one fiber you should pull two just to have a backup in case something happens. At the same time BiDi SFP Modules are almost 4X The price of normal SFP+ Modules (using Fiber Store as a reference)

I can certainly see the attraction of BiDi especially if you are really limited space wise. I personally haven't used much of it but it seems pretty straight forward as long as you have the right equipment.

BTW - I highly recommend getting what you need from FS.com, their customer service is excellent and if you have any issues you don't have to ship back to China (assuming you life in the US).

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Thank you, Peter !
The price of optical devices provided by FS.COM is really much lower than the other vendors, which saves me a lot of money. ;) Thank you again for your link .

Reactions: Pete L.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Thank you, Peter !
The price of optical devices provided by FS.COM is really much lower than the other vendors, which saves me a lot of money. ;) Thank you again for your link .
No problem - When you plan an order make sure you put in the notes that device(s) you will be putting the modules in and they will make sure that they are properly programed for them and work before shipping. Even if you don't they will more than likely contact you before hand to confirm that information.

The BiDi Stuff is new to me but I am also looking to run some fiber out to my shed and think I might give it a shot for that, using a Duplex Single Mode Fiber will give me 2 connections for load balancing / fault tolerance.

You won't be disappointed with Fiber Store, the only thing that can get you is the shipping as it is a little pricey but you will get the items in a few days. If you don't mind waiting a while the slow shipping is very reasonable but takes a considerable amount of time. Since we like to keep items in stock we will order with slow shipping to replenish inventory.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
The BiDi Stuff is new to me but I am also looking to run some fiber out to my shed and think I might give it a shot for that, using a Duplex Single Mode Fiber will give me 2 connections for load balancing / fault tolerance.
Since I started people down the BiDi path, I should emphasize that this is a solution for a small subset of cases where it is not cost-effective to use additional fiber strands (for example, between floors in a NYC office building).

You are going to pay nearly 4 times as much for BiDi SFP+ parts, compared to short-haul (multimode) SFP+ parts.

You will also run into issues using regular duplex LC fiber cables, as you need to separate the two halves of the LC connector. Most LC cables have permanently-attached duplex LC connectors, so you're going to need to track down oddball cables.

Lastly, since BiDi transceivers report a different transceiver type than regular tranceivers, the device you plug them into may refuse to work with them as they are an "unrecognized technology" part. Note that this is different from "non-vendor-approved" part - that can be fixed by compatibility programming by the SFP+ supplier, but their ability to re-code a different transceiver type is likely far more limited.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
You can remove the plastic bit holding the duplex LC (and the bigger SC too) connectors together. Just be somewhat gentle as to not damage the fiber. They are made to come apart.

+1 on the required support for bidi transceivers. At one point I noticed bidi transceivers wouldn't work in a particular Juniper EX model of switch, but perfectly fine in a different model of EX. I can't find anything on it now, it was long ago, and perhaps finally fixed with firmware.

DrunkenLoliOni

Feb 19, 2016
Since I started people down the BiDi path, I should emphasize that this is a solution for a small subset of cases where it is not cost-effective to use additional fiber strands (for example, between floors in a NYC office building).

You are going to pay nearly 4 times as much for BiDi SFP+ parts, compared to short-haul (multimode) SFP+ parts.

You will also run into issues using regular duplex LC fiber cables, as you need to separate the two halves of the LC connector. Most LC cables have permanently-attached duplex LC connectors, so you're going to need to track down oddball cables.

Lastly, since BiDi transceivers report a different transceiver type than regular tranceivers, the device you plug them into may refuse to work with them as they are an "unrecognized technology" part. Note that this is different from "non-vendor-approved" part - that can be fixed by compatibility programming by the SFP+ supplier, but their ability to re-code a different transceiver type is likely far more limited.
You can remove the plastic bit holding the duplex LC (and the bigger SC too) connectors together. Just be somewhat gentle as to not damage the fiber. They are made to come apart.

+1 on the required support for bidi transceivers. At one point I noticed bidi transceivers wouldn't work in a particular Juniper EX model of switch, but perfectly fine in a different model of EX. I can't find anything on it now, it was long ago, and perhaps finally fixed with firmware.
Fiber store sells duplex and simplex MM and SM fiber cables with LC connectors. You don't have to pull anything apart unless you really want to.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA

This is interesting and I am considering giving this a shot, from what I am reading you are supposed to have a "Matched Pair" of BiDi Transceivers, from what it looks like if I order one it will transmit on one wavelength and receive on a different one, so with that said don't I need the other end to do the opposite? Are they just sold in Pairs? How do you figure out which is which?

I am wondering if this will work in my Cisco Switches, they do offer Cisco BiDi Modules. So I am hoping that with upgraded firmware they will work.

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
This is interesting and I am considering giving this a shot, from what I am reading you are supposed to have a "Matched Pair" of BiDi Transceivers, from what it looks like if I order one it will transmit on one wavelength and receive on a different one, so with that said don't I need the other end to do the opposite? Are they just sold in Pairs? How do you figure out which is which?
Yes, you need the opposite part on the other end of the link. The Cisco part numbers will include D or U to indicate down / up. Refer to this Cisco datasheet. Normally the transceiver type is indicated by a color code on the eject lever / bail.
I am wondering if this will work in my Cisco Switches, they do offer Cisco BiDi Modules. So I am hoping that with upgraded firmware they will work.
The official list of supported switches is here. If it isn't on the list, you may or may not be able to get them to work.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Yes, you need the opposite part on the other end of the link. The Cisco part numbers will include D or U to indicate down / up. Refer to this Cisco datasheet. Normally the transceiver type is indicated by a color code on the eject lever / bail.

The official list of supported switches is here. If it isn't on the list, you may or may not be able to get them to work.
That make sense and I didn't catch the difference between the "D" and "U" thank you. I have 10G but the setup I would be looking at would be for 1G Connections to a remote building. I see Cisco Compatible SFP Modules for very short money I might have to give them a try. It would be great if they work.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
I noticed everyone is talking about getting pre-termed cables. Is anyone doing their own terminations? If so, what kind of termination kit are you using?

DrunkenLoliOni

Feb 19, 2016
I noticed everyone is talking about getting pre-termed cables. Is anyone doing their own terminations? If so, what kind of termination kit are you using?
Just taking a really quick look at it, initial investment wise it seems like it would be way more expensive to roll your own unless you are making a lot of cables. Not to mention quite time consuming and with a potential to mess up pretty badly and waste a good deal of fiber and connector bits.
That said the self-actualization of looking at your work and knowing that you cut your fiber cables in your rack/home to exact length would feel pretty awesome and may be worth all that time and money to the right person.

Reactions: Pete L.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Dam it now I've gone and ordered some BiDi Modules from FS to complete some connections between buildings that we've been wanting to do. I am also going to get some 10G Modules to try between our Cisco 10G Switch and Servers with Mellanox Cards. Why not right? =)

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I can purchase a pre-made, tested cable w/ duplex connectors on each end for less than the cost of a single connector if I was terminating them myself.

These days, the only terminations I do myself are on inter-building (outdoor) cabling runs. And even that is verging on not being cost-effective any more. It used to be cost-effective because custom-length outdoor cables with terminations were still coming from the US, with higher costs, while patch cords came in stock lengths in bulk from China. But the price on custom outdoor cables with connectors has been dropping, so it may soon not be cost-effective to terminate them myself for small fiber counts (48 and under). There's no way I'm going to pull a pre-connectorized 768-fiber cable through a conduit - the connectors won't physically fit! Those, I'll still fusion-splice in ribbons of 12.

Reactions: Jon Massey

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Got / Installed My first BiDi Fiber Run between two buildings, we got some Single Mode Armored Fiber From Fiber Store along with the BiDi Optics, these are only 1G Between Cisco SG300 Switches, they are working perfectly and the 1G Modules are relatively inexpensive. I have to say their Fiber is impressive especially considering the cost.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
Anybody knows what tools are required to crimp LC-LC cables on your own?

I will like to run cable through the door but the hole isn't big enough for the premade cable connector. Would it be possible to chop the ends off, run the cable and attach new connectors to the ends?

Last edited:

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Anybody knows what tools are required to crimp LC-LC cables on your own?

I will like to run cable through the door but the hole isn't big enough for the premade cable connector. Would it be possible to chop the ends off, run the cable and attach new connectors to the ends?
Would it be possible? Yes...basic manual termination kits can be picked up for under $150-300ish. IMO, drill a larger hole and then use a rubber grommet unless your pulling long runs through mostly full innerduct.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
Would it be possible? Yes...basic manual termination kits can be picked up for under $150-300ish. IMO, drill a larger hole and then use a rubber grommet unless your pulling long runs through mostly full innerduct.
Do you mind sharing a link of the tools needed for termination?