LGA3647 vs 2011 price

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
ok so I can’t really remember the launch prices for 2011 boards for v3 and probably the probably for v1 anyway but we are 9+ months into the scalable lifecycle and it still appears like there is a hefty premium to the boards...

Or is it just my imagination they cost that much more ?
For single socket is the new normal $4xx rather than $2xx / $3xx

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think that's normal.

My single socket supermicro mainbaords were all 400-430€

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yep it’s probbaly just more a little discounting on the 2011 boards now but when comparing them it standout more now. Can’t be helping the move to scalable. Some big OEM’s are still and will be until end of the year a lot of E5 v4.
May even see intel release scalable v2 before then, but I do wonder if they will really be compatible with today’s boards.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Adding a few bits here. There are cases where LGA3647 boards need additional PCB layer(s) due to the complexity of the new chips. A bigger socket with more pins. More HSIO from the PCH. More DIMM channels for single/ dual channel operation. More PCIe lanes and more SATA III ports.

We all like when systems have more features and more expansion capabilities. When these add more PCB layers, components (slots/ connectors/ PHYs), and etc it makes costs go up.

Reactions: Tha_14

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Fair point @Patrick , and I wasn’t really complaining just didn’t know if it was my bad memory or an actual situation.

Does make the low end (eg 4 core, d-2123it) based board look like good value if you don’t need more memory slots or bigger CPU later (I would prefer 8-core though and then the scalable tends to look better), the slightly annoying thing about the m-atx SM scalable boards if lack of OCuLink or other NVMe ports and the atx boards that are really great have sas3008 which I didn’t really want in the build.