Lenovo SA120 - fan speed decreased automagically

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
Those familiar with this chassis all have the same general gripe: The fans are 100% when it's first turned on and after power loss. Lenovo has an app to control the fans but that's annoying; especially if you have to keep launching the app whenever you fire it up.

I had an issue with the DAS that, during my troubleshooting, I plugged in BOTH psus to an outlet. During its startup, the fans sounded like a micro machine plane and eventually, backed off. Interesting; considering that it would NEVER do that until I used the application to control the fan speeds. I half chalked it up to my DAS acting up.

After the Lenovo rep gave me a new RAID card, I installed the DAS back in its home, plugged in both PSUs and once again, the same process occurred. The fans aren't at full speed!! They actually spun down accordingly! Furthermore, they seem to be spinning due to the ambient temperature. Once the AC kicks in and cools the cabinet, the fans will spin down. When it gets warm, the fans will spin up.

So, for those interested in trying to get better fan control, something you might want to consider trying out is plugging in both PSUs.