Legacy PCIE HBA in LGA1700 MB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

linuxperson

Oct 15, 2022
I recently got a MSI B660M-A MB.
I have a SCSI scanner with supporting HBA I want to use in it.
This doesn't work so I sent an email to MSI support.
Their reply was this is expected behavior with unsupported legacy hardware.
Are there any 12 Gen Intel based MB that will support older HBAs? Perhaps workstation or server models?
Or am I just SOL.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
what does "doesn't work" mean? hba not recognized? scsi scanner not recognized?

linuxperson

Oct 15, 2022
what does "doesn't work" mean? hba not recognized? scsi scanner not recognized?
The short answer to your question is "hba not recognized".

If you are familiar with these types of cards the normal boot process displays a banner upon the computer discovering the HBA. The HBA will display it's configuration screen asking to configure the adapter, detect devices and so on. This banner is not displayed at all. One other annoying thing about this particular MB is that the normal, I guess old fashioned , computers used to display details during the bootstrap process. On this board that display flashes in a blink and disappears, so fast it can't be studied, even if you disable fast boot and so forth.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Disable quiet boot? Make a video of it?
It might be helpful if you name your HBA too;)

linuxperson

Oct 15, 2022
Made a video and tried to upload but I get "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. The following extensions are allowed: .zip, .txt, .pdf, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .gif". I'm a total newbie making/editing videos.

The card is an LSI20320EI PCI Express Ultra320 HBA.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
The only PCIE related options are latency and Gen{2,3,4}. Haven't found anything about Option ROMS. In the setup screen. It's "MSI Click BIOs 5"
It might be that the card (which was made in 2007) runs on pcie1 ... I assume u dont have an older system to try on?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well with the limited options you have in Bios, the vendor saying the card is not supported and it working fine in an older box I'd say you're out of luck... Unless one of the guys has a smart idea...

Reactions: linuxperson

linuxperson

Oct 15, 2022
The MB is only a couple weeks old. I might be able to take it back and exchange for another board that has more extensive BIOS or UEFI functionality like a server or workstation MB might have. The MSI board is a basic desktop MB AFAICT, but supports TPM and Windows 11. I would suspect all the other brands like ASUS, Gigabyte, etc.,that use the same Intel chipset are probably similar but that is what I was wondering.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I'd recommend to ask the vendor for compatibility before you buy another board, just to be on the safe side :)

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
do you know for sure that that HBA has windows 11 drivers? That's likely to be bigger issue - without driver support having a board which supports 'legacy' bios won't help at all

What was the operating system on the old system you had the card/scanner in?

when you had win11 up and running could you see the HBA listed in device manager - the BIOS on those old scsi cards was mainly so you could boot off a scsi drive - since you don't need that as long as you have driver support inside win11 the card should work ok ( indeed many of the old adaptec scsi cards I've used had a jumper to disable the BIOS completely )