Least cost ConnectX-3 Pro 40G NIC to SFP+ switch connection

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

skyblaster

Jun 11, 2023
Hello everyone. I just signed up to ask this question, so I'll include at least one quote to let you know that I've been spending way too much time researching this topic before asking.
I always asked myself if qsfp+ transceivers would be able to use 10gbit (or slower) and it seems it's possible. Thanks! :D

Since certain 40GbE ConnectX-3 Pro NICs can be found for less than some 10G counterparts at the moment, I can't help but be lured into wanting one with the possibility of future proofing at least some of my gear.

I currently only have a SFP+ capable switch at my disposal and I suspect that most folks would purchase a Mellanox MAM1Q00A-QSA adapter and then matching transceivers or a DAC cable to achieve 10G networking in this scenario.

I do have to ask that if I were to instead purchase something like a MC2210411-SR4L or an LC based QSFP transceiver (instead of a QSA adapter for a similar cost), will it/can it negotiate down to 10Gbit speeds, or does "40GBase" mean it can't go any lower?

My suspicion is that some MTP transceivers can use a single fiber pair to link up at 10Gbps, and perhaps there is an inexpensive cabling option for this scenario, but since I'm not sure, I came here to ask the experts.