learning networking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
How does one go about learning about networking?

I can create VMs. So if I have to do so to mock a network I will. I don't necessarily want to learn the ins and outs of a specific router or router OS but the more higher level stuff like vlans, overlay networks, the basics of routing, what's a broadcast, subnets, etc.

I have decent linux skills -- so I can get myself into trouble on the CLI. I know where to find the OSI layer diagrams. But is it a book that I read? I am approaching this like I would learning a programming language. There's usually an intro to language X book.

I am tired of having the most rudimentary understanding of networking and want to get a foundation. I want to be able to understand what is going on and then given that be able to create networks without having to be beholden to some blog post that holds my hand.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think the cisco ccna curriculum is one, if not the best, foundation for understanding networks/networking.

It covers a lot of stuff:
- ip adresses and classes
- different routing protocols
- static/default routing
- network media
- the different network devices (hubs :D, switches, routers, access points, modems etc.)
- ipv4/v6
- osi vs tcp/ip stacks
- tcp & udp
- known ports/applications
- how dhcp, stp, nat and a lot other stuff works
- basic security
- vlan & inter vlan routing
- access control lists (cisco specific, but the general idea is easily transfered to other vendors commands)
- redundancy
- topologies
- troubleshooting /that was one of my favorite topics:D)
- quality of service
- software defined networking (control & data planes, architecture)
And a lot of other stuff :D

If you take such a course you will have to do some exams with actual devices and probably connect routers with such serial cables:
v35.jpeg
(If I remember it correctly that was the "female" part of the cable)

Reactions: gigatexal

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I think the cisco ccna curriculum is one, if not the best, foundation for understanding networks/networking.

It covers a lot of stuff:
- ip adresses and classes
- different routing protocols
- static/default routing
- network media
- the different network devices (hubs :D, switches, routers, access points, modems etc.)
- ipv4/v6
- osi vs tcp/ip stacks
- tcp & udp
- known ports/applications
- how dhcp, stp, nat and a lot other stuff works
- basic security
- vlan & inter vlan routing
- access control lists (cisco specific, but the general idea is easily transfered to other vendors commands)
- redundancy
- topologies
- troubleshooting /that was one of my favorite topics:D)
- quality of service
- software defined networking (control & data planes, architecture)
And a lot of other stuff :D
very cool stuff even the bit about teh cables. ;-)

I will take this route -- I will go as if i am studying for CCNA and look for ways to learn from that list