largest SSD for NAS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

koifish59

Sep 30, 2020
I'm looking for recommendations for the largest SSD for a TrueNAS box. I do not have enough ports or pcie lanes for NVMe, so ideally SATA drives, and used enterprise ones.

If all else fails, I'll pick up some Samsung 870 QVO 8TB ones.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
if you have a slot free for a Dell HBA330 or similar, and you're looking for total capacity, consider a bunch of smaller (say 4TB) SAS3 SSDs, for better endurance than consumer SATA drives and lower $/TB compared with higher density drives.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
use case. total storage capacity, chassis size & cabling constraints, physical drive size, and power.

I looked at a bunch of different drives (and prices) when designing out my 100TiB mITX build. I stared hard at the 8TB QVO (QLC). I ultimately went down the path of sourcing used "8TB CLASS" (7.68TB) enterprise capacity tier TLC SSDs. These can be found in quantity < 600 each if you are patient and willing to research and then communicate with sellers on the bay. The TLC tend to have a bit of a better performance curve than the QLC.

Ideally 12 or so SAS 15.36TB would have been about perfect - my chassis would limit me to 12 drives, and a wide vdev rz2 pool would have been great or a 2 x 6 RZ1. Problem is I could not find any (in the used market) for < ~1500USD per drive in quantity.

For my use case, < 20 vms/dockers and media storage, I wanted a mix of reasonably performant drives (vm's) and capacity. I ended up using a hybrid: pair of 3.84TB nvme for my vm's and 18 x 7.68TB enterprise TLC Sata SSD's (Micron 5100 ECO And Micro 5200 Pro) in 3 x 6 RZ1

30TB SAS SSD's aren't really showing up in the used markets. Heck 15TB SAS SSD's aren't really showing up in large quantity in the used market, IIRC there's one seller with a decent quantity - but (as of my last communication) they won't go < 1450 / drive.

Reactions: awedio