Lantronix Spider - Any Tips on Getting Mouse to Work?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Vaal

Jun 15, 2020
Hi, I have a Lantronix Spider and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on using a mouse with it. I've had the Spider for some time, but I've never used it before with a GUI, so this is the first time I've tried to use a mouse. I have it connected to, well, actually a Raspberry Pi 3, probably not a common combination. :) The Spider is the USB-only model and the Raspberry Pi doesn't have PS/2 anyway, so it's connected by USB.The Raspberry Pi seems to see the mouse, because when I move it, the mouse cursor on the Pi moves, but not very well - after a second or two delay, it _sometimes_ moves slightly in the direction I moved the mouse. I tried changing various mouse-related settings in the Spider's web UI, but haven't found any settings that work.

Has anyone used a Lantronix Spider with a mouse? If so, any advice? Especially, ideas about how to figure out what's wrong?

Thanks!

Vaal

Jun 15, 2020
Maybe RasPi doesn't use a standard keyboard/mouse interface or the OS in any case.
One thing I could mention is Spider had published html5 kvm firmware for this little guy and then for some reason pulled it.
Can't stand Java one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/ein69i
About the HTML5 firmware, seems like they've put it back up again, because I downloaded it from Lantronix' site yesterday! I've only tried it a little but it seems to work (well, as well as any other method, I still have mouse problem).

After much fiddling around, the mouse is better, but still not good. It actually moves to where it should go... eventually. That is, if I leave the local mouse cursor on, and move the mouse, the remote cursor moves to where the local one is... eventually, after about a 3 second delay. At least that means I can use it somewhat, but I'd love to get it working better.

Is this just how it is? Has anyone used the mouse? I know in my case I've had this thing for a while but never had occasion to use it with anything that had a GUI before.

liviu.stefanescu

Jun 25, 2020
Just in case somebody has the same issue and the "Java dance" doesn't work.

You should upgrade the firmware to latest:
Latest Version of Spider Firmware and Software - Lantronix Tech Support - Confluence
Or this link:
ts.lantronix.com - /ftp/spider/

You can install latest SpiderView from here:
ts.lantronix.com - /ftp/Spiderview/

I had best results with Pale Moon browser, it's great for old stuff like D-Link, Juniper, Unify Ubiquity switch and some IPMI, BMC, without modern TLS support or Flash or Java. So it's my preferred browser for web maintenance.
The Pale Moon Project homepage

I had no luck with Java, errors:
Unsigned application requesting unrestricted access to system
Unsigned resource: http://..../rclang_en.jar

Java 8 from here:
OpenJDK Downloads | Download Java JDK 8, 11 & 17 | OpenLogic

But latest firmware (4.3.3) has HTML 5.0 and it works well in Pale Moon, had some issues with Chrome.

Enable it in web configuration interface:
Interfaces->KVM Console Settings, KVM Console Deployment group, HTML5 radio button.

1693234262660.png

And for the mouse to work really nice (Pale Moon, HTML5 or Spider View with lag):
Interfaces->Keyboard/Mouse Settings, USB Mouse Type pick Windows>=2000, Mac OS X.
1693234279594.png

Reactions: dawsonkm