Juniper ex3300 10G interface down while using optics/OM3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Anyone know what is going on here, passive DAC works fine, was trying to use optics/OM3 cabling.

Tips/hints appreciated on how to enable/bring up the interface :-D

ex3300-10G-link-power-low.PNG
ex3300-show-interfaces-diagnostics optics.PNG
ex3300-show-interfaces-brief-statistics.PNG

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
If I unplug OM3 cable and plug back in the 'show log messages' yields this, think it's a compat/optic lock issue, using both the juniper 10G SR optic on the switch and a mellanox 10G SR optic in the mellanox adapter.

ex3300-show-log-messages.PNG

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Have you tested the gbic in a different switch.
Looks like something might be wrong with the gbic

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
This is what I have, does the 1310nm finsar's (came w/ juniper ex3300 PoE+ switch) and 850nm mellanox (came w/ IB/eth card) screw me or are these just the wrong optics?

optics.jpg

EDIT: Aww hell that finsar is a LRM optics isn't it, not gonna play nice w/ a SR optic...SMH

Anyone know off hand the juniper SR optic or just go to fs.com and pony up?

NM, looks like this one - EX-SFP-10GE-SR (fs.com has it for $16 here)

Juniper Networks EX-SFP-10GE-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver | FS.COM

Silly me :-D

Last edited:

azev

Jan 18, 2013
not sure if mellanox compatibility with 3rd party optics, but in the meantime you could try using one of the finisar optics in the mellanox card and see if that works... you will need sm cables though.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah thanks for idea, I am not hard up, got a DAC here, just wanted to use something a bit 'slimmer'. I remember why I rarely order sh|t from fs.com...shipping is OUTRAGEOUS, no thanks I'm not paying $21 shipping for a $16 part. I swear who else does that nonsense, oh yeah monoprice...that's who :-D

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Typically a switch would complain about compatibility when you plug in the transceiver, if that were the problem.

Your logs mention low rx power. ..so that is a pretty good clue.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Yeah thanks for idea, I am not hard up, got a DAC here, just wanted to use something a bit 'slimmer'. I remember why I rarely order sh|t from fs.com...shipping is OUTRAGEOUS, no thanks I'm not paying $21 shipping for a $16 part. I swear who else does that nonsense, oh yeah monoprice...that's who :-D
I have the same experience with you, the items from an OEM vendor are indeed very cheap, and the quality can be good as well. But the delivery from China to the USA usually cost a lot of money, hate it.

Reactions: Mark Wilde

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
Can't deny that the postage charged in Fiberstore is a little high, but if you buy more products, that will be better, and if you place more order, you can ask some discount. Haha, I often ask discount from the salesman.

Reactions: Mark Wilde

Mark Wilde

Aug 21, 2016
I heard that Fiberstore has built a warehouse in Seatle for better delivery services, which might be a great news for us.