JBOD upgrade advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ttvd

Jan 9, 2021
Canada
Hello!

I have a 2U 826 supermicro with an BPN-SAS-826A backplane. I have 14 drives in it (12 in caddies and 2 internal) all wired directly into x10sdv-4c-7tp4f. I would like to switch this 826 to a JBOD and connect it to my primary server machine via external connection (I have a 9300-8e and a 9200-16e available); I also have a CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 which I would like to use for this set up. Most of my drives are sata spinners with exception of a few sata ssds.

I am seeing multiple ways of doing this and I would like to validate these / do a sanity check.

1. Wire 826A backplane into molex powered 82885T then link via external cables into 9300-8e in my primary machine.
2. Swap 826A backplane to an expander EL backplane and link via external cables into 9300-8e in my primary machine.
3. Wire 826A backplane into into 9200-16e in my primary machine. Can I use AOM-SAS3-8I8E brackets in this case to make it cleaner? Could cable length become an issue here?
4. Any other approaches I could be missing?

Thanks for your help!

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
#1 and #2 are both fine. My only concern would be that assuming it's an 826 LP model (and not a UIO or something like that), you need to make sure your SAS cables don't have connectors that are too long, because there's not a whole lot of room to make the cables bend down once the cover is placed back on the chassis.

#3 seems to be messy even if you get the brackets. Cable length could be an issue (SATA is <1m length).

What is the "primary" machine?

ttvd

Jan 9, 2021
Canada
Hey, thanks, I appreciate the response. I think I am leaning towards #1 as it seems to be a cheaper option that fits the bill. The primary machine is a 7282 EPYC with H12SSL motherboard with a bunch of nvmes.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Hey, thanks, I appreciate the response. I think I am leaning towards #1 as it seems to be a cheaper option that fits the bill. The primary machine is a 7282 EPYC with H12SSL motherboard with a bunch of nvmes.
In that case, I'd stay away from #3 even more, so that you have the option of upgrading that one to an NVMe backplane later.

Reactions: ttvd