JBOD to VM vs freestanding NAS

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by BryceRocky, Jun 23, 2018.

1. BryceRocky

BryceRocky New Member

I'm looking to replace my DS1812 with an unraid solution and am trying to decide if I should go the JBOD route or just make a full other server. I currently have a esxi srver dedicated to running vms that I figured I could pass an hba through vtd and have a separate chassis for drives. I figured there may be some performance increase as well as most network traffic to the nas is from the vms and that can be resolved before hitting the physical nic. On the other hand it doesn't seem like I can get a sc846 without some old server already in there so may make sense just to run it independently? The other main draw was seviceability with the VM route but ipmi may take care of that. Any thoughts welcomed - thanks!