Issues with supermicro H12SSL-i & EPYC 7302P

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
Hi! I wonder if someone could help me with this.

So I've purchased supermicro H12SSL-i (revision 1.02) and EPYC 7302P CPU setup, however I was unable tomake it work. I think there might be issues with CPU being locked to the motherboard of a certain vendor or the BIOS needs to be updated. From Supermicro website I've located several manuals and there must be a way to updating the MB BIOSeven without CPU and this is where I need help.I wonder if someone could assist and explain the way I connect to the MB via lan cable and enter its control panel (web interface).This is my first experience with server parts so the issue might seem very basic.

Please refer to the attached video (I've filmed the starting process and indicators):

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
what about to plug all 8pin EPS +12V conntectors ?
you need better PSU first.

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
Conneted the second 8pin EPS +12V and the monitor via VGA. Checked the JPG1 - position VGA enable. Outcome is still the same as in the video and no output to the monitor. I think it might be CPU then...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Conneted the second 8pin EPS +12V
you don't have a ATX power supply. you switch just AC on. it is unsufficient. no way to test with.
there must be first +5VStandby to the Board, BMC inits.
the you short the Power Btn switch of the board and the PSU turn on, gives +12V then not all the time.

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
I think power supply may be an issue.

I've got Dell DPS-2400BB as a PSU and this Breakout bouard. Whenever this PSU setup is connected to the motherboard it does not start with shorting the Power Button switch, the system only starts when I press power button on the Breakout bouard, as shown on the video. However, even though thePSU is working and CPU cooler is spinning, the system does not boot at all (black skreen).

When i connect a regular PSU (I only have the one with 1 8-pin CPU connector) the system refuses to startwhen i short the Power Button switch on the motherboard.

RolloZ170 - are you suggesting to get a PSU that has 2 8-pin CPU power connectors and trying to short the Power Button switch?

Appreciate your help!

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I've got Dell DPS-2400BB as a PSU and this Breakout bouard. Whenever this PSU setup is connected to the motherboard it does not start with shorting the Power Button switch, the system only starts when I press power button on the Breakout bouard
because this provides no +5VSB power.
RolloZ170 - are you suggesting to get a PSU that has 2 8-pin CPU power connectors and trying to short the Power Button switch?
yes.

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
Will do tomorrow and write back! Thank you so much! Apoligies for such basic questions, I really dont have much experience in this stuff.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
you can press the power btn after the BMC has finished init.
i recommend to use only one RDIMM stick for testing, many GB memory takes minutes to check/train/init.
note the FrontPanel header is non.standard pinout. check manuals.

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
Understood, will test tomorrow! Thx once again!
Based on the MB manual, this is the correct header to short, am I correct? Not sure what you mean by "FrontPanel header is non standard pinout".

Screenshot_1.png

Reactions: RolloZ170

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
Tried reinstalling the CPU, seems properly installed. I've already ordered a new one so I'll message once I test this second one. Quick question, is this server PSU cannot be used, right? Only regular ATX PSU is required, the one I showed in the last video?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Quick question, is this server PSU cannot be used, right? Only regular ATX PSU is required, the one I showed in the last video?
your server PSU does not provide standby power. only if you switch in on the BMC is powered and starts working, thats not the way it goes.
there are other server PSU with +5VSB power, yours seems to be one with +12V standby(newer ones)
with a proper Breakout board this can work, or try other (supermicro?) server PSU with Power distribution unit and ATX plugs.

Reactions: TQS

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Tried reinstalling the CPU, seems properly installed
forgot to mention to check if the CPU is correct inserted in the Carrier, we had one user here got the CPU 180degree wrong placed in the carrier.