Issues with flashing LSI 9211

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Qwerki

Jul 17, 2014
Hello all.

It's been a stressful day for me - I recently bought a LSI 9211 with a view to cross flashing it to a 9240 as I'd read many similar reports (including some here, which is why I'm posting) of people doing the other way with little trouble. - Alas, it wasn't to be, which is quite annoying a it was the same price as the 9240, but had its connectors in a more convenient orientation for my case, so I got it solely for that reason! :(

Long story short, the flash failed as the flash chip I have is only 4MB, and it seems the 9240 requires 8MB. :(

So I've tried to get the card back to how it was, but I can't for the life of me get it to flash successfully. I backed up my existing firmware, bios, and sbr. My procedure has been generally:
  • megarec -cleanflash 0
  • megarec -writesbr 0 backupsbr.bin
  • <reboot>
  • sas2flash -f backupfw.bin (then -b backupbios.rom, but I gave up trying to get the bios back until I had the firmware working)
...it initially succeeds, but then fails at the end with the error about Mfg Page 2 mismatching.

If I try flashing the bios, then it also initially succeeds with the flash, but then fails t the end when updating the "version page 3", or similar (as I say, I stopped bothering with it as the fw is more important).

Any ideas on how I can flash this back to normal? The card came with firmware P14 IR on it, if that helps any.

I've tried using sas2flash's new "-sbr" option, which sounds like it's designed to fix my firmware problem, but it just doesn't seem to work - just fails the same way.

Last edited:

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
In your sas2flash command you did use a -o right? It's not in what you put in the post but the -f (flash command) doesn't work without -o (advanced command option).

Qwerki

Jul 17, 2014
In your sas2flash command you did use a -o right? It's not in what you put in the post but the -f (flash command) doesn't work without -o (advanced command option).
Thanks for replying. :)

I have tried both ways, but "-f" isn't one of the advanced commands according to the "-h" help, and seems to behave identically with -o or without it.

Should probably mention I've been using both the latest P19 UEFI & DOS sas2flash tools, as well as the older p12 ones from a package someone put together. I've also tried the P18 ones. I'll give it another go though, just in case I've made a mistake...

Qwerki

Jul 17, 2014
...nope: :(

fs0:\> p19\sas2flash.efi -o -f fs0:\p19\Firmware\IR\2118IR.BIN
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 19.00.00.00 (2014.03.17)
<copyright>

Advanced Mode Set

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B1)

Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image:

Firmware Image has a Valid Checksum.
Firmware Version 19.00.00.00
Firmware Image compatible with Controller.

Valid NVDATA Image found.
NVDATA Version 11.00.00.00
Checking for compatible NVData image...

NVData Device ID and Chip Revision match verified.
Valid Initialisation Image verified.
Valid Bootloader Image verified.

Chip is in RESET state. Attempting Host Boot...
Firmware Host Boot Successful.

Mfg Page 2 Mismatch Detected.
Writing Current Mfg Page 2 Settings to NVRAM.
Failed to Validate Mfg Page 2!​

Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Existing SAS2Flash.​

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
which VERSION of the firmware are you using?

I see your card lists itself as a B1 version

are you trying a firmware for a B1 card?.....or trying a firmware for a different revision card? eg B2 or A1 etc?

MikeC

Apr 27, 2013
UK
...nope: :(

fs0:\> p19\sas2flash.efi -o -f fs0:\p19\Firmware\IR\2118IR.BIN
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 19.00.00.00 (2014.03.17)
<copyright>

Advanced Mode Set

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B1)

Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image:

Firmware Image has a Valid Checksum.
Firmware Version 19.00.00.00
Firmware Image compatible with Controller.

Valid NVDATA Image found.
NVDATA Version 11.00.00.00
Checking for compatible NVData image...

NVData Device ID and Chip Revision match verified.
Valid Initialisation Image verified.
Valid Bootloader Image verified.

Chip is in RESET state. Attempting Host Boot...
Firmware Host Boot Successful.

Writing Current Mfg Page 2 Settings to NVRAM.
Failed to Validate Mfg Page 2!
Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Existing SAS2Flash.
Have a look at this thread on Lime Technology
LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

Post number 621 which mentions a -sbr option

Qwerki

Jul 17, 2014
which VERSION of the firmware are you using?

I see your card lists itself as a B1 version

are you trying a firmware for a B1 card?.....or trying a firmware for a different revision card? eg B2 or A1 etc?

Interesting point. I haven't read anything that suggests there are any differences, indeed, LSI's downloads don't even suggest there are. I have P17 on the CD that came with the card - I'll give those a go.

---EDIT---

No dice. Same as before.

Last edited:

Qwerki

Jul 17, 2014
Have a look at this thread on Lime Technology
LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

Post number 621 which mentions a -sbr option
I spotted that when I was trying to solve this on my own. Seems exactly what I need - but it just doesn't seem to work. When I invoke it, it prompts be for a firmware to boot the controller with as it's inactive. I give it the firmware, then it fails with the MFG page 2 error I'm trying to solve! :(

I just tried the following to confirm:
sas2flash.exe -o -e 7
(To clear the flash.)

Then rebooted, then:
sas2flash.exe -sbr

...it prompts me for a firmware image (which I give it), and it then Boots the firmware successfully and then gives the
Writing current Mfg Page 2 Settings to NVRAM.

Last edited:

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
Have you tried flashing the firmware with
Code:
 megarec -m0flash 0 backupfw.bin

MikeC

Apr 27, 2013
UK
I spotted that when I was trying to solve this on my own. Seems exactly what I need - but it just doesn't seem to work. When I invoke it, it prompts be for a firmware to boot the controller with as it's inactive. I give it the firmware, then it fails with the MFG page 2 error I'm trying to solve! :(

I just tried the following to confirm:
sas2flash.exe -o -e 7
(To clear the flash.)

Then rebooted, then:
sas2flash.exe -sbr

...it prompts me for a firmware image (which I give it), and it then Boots the firmware successfully and then gives the
Writing current Mfg Page 2 Settings to NVRAM.
Here's my cheatsheet for when I did my cards. Adjust firmware and BIOS filenames as required.

Convert LSI9240(IBM M1015) to a LSI9211-IR mode
Type in the following exactly:
megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0
reboot, back to USB stick

sas2flsh -o -f 2118ir.bin -b mptsas2.rom
sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605b0xxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address)
<reboot>

Done!
I realise that this is the reverse way to what you are trying to achieve, but the principle should hold good.

HTH

Qwerki

Jul 17, 2014
Here's my cheatsheet for when I did my cards. Adjust firmware and BIOS filenames as required.

Convert LSI9240(IBM M1015) to a LSI9211-IR mode
<snip>
Done!
I realise that this is the reverse way to what you are trying to achieve, but the principle should hold good.
No dice. :( Same Mfg Page 2 error.

Qwerki

Jul 17, 2014
Ok. I tried LSI support giving them all the details and they just told me to use sas2flash :/ ...when I told them I (as expected) got the exact same error, they suggested I try the bootable USB they offer. Which is freedos and....sas2flsh. So I get the same error. *sigh*

There are options on sas2flash that let you upload and download a full image of the entire flash (sas2flash -o -dflash flash.bin firmware.bin to download it to the controller, and sas2flash -uflash flash.bin to upload it to a file). Could anyone with an actual LSI 9211-8i please try grabbing their flash and placing it somewhere I can download it to see if that will reinitialise my NVDATA (which seems to be the problem)?

LSI just say to RMA the controller, but a) it's brand new (was still sealed) so just needs reflashing correctly, b) I'd like to try and save the hassle and costs of postage back to them, and c) I bought it from a seller in Hong Kong on eBay...so warranties are likely to get somewhat complicated as when I put the serial into LSI's checker Chinese contact details come up. :/

Qwerki

Jul 17, 2014
I have a LSI 9211-4i so you can't use my backup as far as I know.
Well, LSI won't give me any more assistance - they just want me to RMA the card. So if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to try your flash dump, if that's cool. I suspect it'll be a lot closer than I currently have, and I figure I should be able to re-flash with the 8i firmware afterwards.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
If they will repair it, you should just RMA the card. Concerned about warranty issues or something? I'd rather get them to fix it since you plan on spinning data on it...

Qwerki

Jul 17, 2014
If they will repair it, you should just RMA the card. Concerned about warranty issues or something? I'd rather get them to fix it since you plan on spinning data on it...
Yeah, my primary concern is that it's a grey import. Aside from the cost of posting it securely to them I'm afraid they'll just tap in the serial and then bill me, which is a can of worms I'd rather not open if I can avoid it at all, especially as the issue is solely that the flash is seemingly in an undefined state. Give a me a clean image and a way of flashing it and they don't need to touch it - it's just I don't have a full flash image, and their flashing tools have bugs it would seem.

I suspect the problem comes from when I tried flashing the 8Mbit flash image for a 9240 on the 4Mb flash chip of the 9211 and it didn't warn me nor stop me until it ran out of room. As such, I think the NVDATA is in an undefined state and despite deep cleaning the flash before reflashing it still seems unhappy. I'd like to at least try a different flash method before sending the card to potential write-off land.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I am not sure but I think they wild be legally required to return your card if it was not a warranty repair and you chose to ask for it back, but I'm not a lawyer.

I will check with a friend to see if he has a 9211 or not to pull firmware from as well.