Issues Running 2x CPUs in Hyve V1 (Supermicro X9DRD-LF)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

firworks

May 7, 2021
Howdy, I recently bought a barebones Hyve V1 off eBay to build a Pfsense system. My plan was to use 2 x E5-2630L V2s. Realistically I only need the 1 but I need the second to use the PCI-E slot which I planned to use for a SFP card to run back to my core switch.

Initially, the system arrived with ancient firmware and BIOS that could not use V2 CPUs. So I ordered a E5-2603 V1. I actually ordered 2 but only 1 arrived... I used that and it booted properly and I used IPMI tool to clear the password and then get in there and update firmware (3.39) and BIOS (3.3) to the latest from Supermicro. Then, I switched back in the 2 x 2630L V2s and it wouldn't boot. Fans spin up but nothing happens, no VGA output, IPMI thinks the system is still off. Post code snooping just says 0x00. I removed one of the CPUs and it booted on a single E5-2630L V2. I then swapped in the other E5-2630L V2 and it also booted.

I'm sort of at a loss for what is happening here. I really wish I had gotten both 2603 V1 I ordered just to know if it was a problem with any pair of CPUs or this specific pair. I don't know too much about it but I guess maybe it's possible that the QPI link is dead on one of these CPUs maybe and so they wont work in a pair but work solo? I'm not even sure if that's actually a possibility but it seems like it might be. Anyhow I was hoping someone else was running one of these with 2 x CPUs or maybe knew if there was a jumper I needed or something to get it to boot in this configuration. I also confirmed I'm using the right RAM slots per the manual for a dual CPU configuration. I do see people selling this exact configuration, Hyve V1 with 2 x E5-2630L V2 so I think it should be possible but again that's why I was wondering about a strange jumper or some other thing I'm doing wrong here.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
did you noticed the two(2) 8pin and two(2) 4pin power connectors ???

check all jumpers and set them to default positions.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
I have used this exact system in both dual v1 and dual v2 configs, no problems. The PCIe slot does require the second CPU to be installed, annoyingly.

Check pins in the second CPU socket? If all signs point to failure in the board, I'm confident eSISO will take care of you.

firworks

May 7, 2021
did you noticed the two(2) 8pin and two(2) 4pin power connectors ???

check all jumpers and set them to default positions.
This is a full integrated package so PSU that should match the chassis and board and it came with the 2 x 8 pins connected but the 2 x 4 pin connectors do not have any matching connection from the PSU. The manual from Supermicro says those 2 x 4 pins are optional so I don't think that's the cause of the issue here. I looked at the list of jumpers in the manual and nothing seemed relevant here but I thought I'd mention it in case someone was familiar with these boards and knew of an obscure jumper configuration that wouldn't be obvious just from first reading of the manual.

I have used this exact system in both dual v1 and dual v2 configs, no problems. The PCIe slot does require the second CPU to be installed, annoyingly.

Check pins in the second CPU socket? If all signs point to failure in the board, I'm confident eSISO will take care of you.
Yeah ideally I'd just run with a single E5-2630L V2 for the lowest power usage but I'd like to use the PCI-E slot so I need the second working. I did pull the heatsink again and inspect and I can't see any bent pins but they could probably be bent just a very small amount such that they aren't making good contact under the CPU I suppose.

I just sent an eBay message to eSISO to see what they say.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I removed one of the CPUs and it booted on a single E5-2630L V2. I then swapped in the other E5-2630L V2 and it also booted.
are these CPU the same ?
pictures ?
maybe they are UP for some reason...
edit: both alone boot to OS without issues ?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I looked at the list of jumpers in the manual and nothing seemed relevant here
JPME1
the missing PCIe slots makes me thinking. its a custom OEM board, maybe you have to use FW from the OEM not supermicro ?

Crispie2239

May 20, 2022
Where are you guys getting the updated BMC+BIOS? Looking on supermicro I cant seem to find it for this board.