Issue with my NAS server - need hints

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Basically I need some suggestions on what to look for as I have no idea at this point..

HARDWARE
SCE846 case with SAS2 backplane
Supermicro X10SL7-F
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1285 v4 @ 3.50GHz
32Gb CT2KIT102472BD160B
16Gb SM SATA DOM - boot drive - installed on MB
2x 4TB WD RED mirror - main volume - connected to SAS2

I had this config with FreeNas working for a long time. I had 8Gb and different Celeron CPU

Recently I decided to give it little more juice, added memory and upgraded CPU

All look/work great (so it seems)

Then I decided to add few more drives (22Tb WD REDs). Added, started to work on burn-in, and voila - at the end I got some errors.
Ok, maybe disks bad? But no, then I started to lose my mirror/storage.

What happens now - when I reboot server - I may get SOME disks visible, or all, or none. I have 3 disks connected to SAS and FreeNAS doesn't see them at times.

Basically, something is going on with disks not appearing. The only things I did is:
1. New CPU
2. More RAM
3. Upgrade to TrueNAS

Right now I just need to reboot it few times until it sees disks and copy data over. But then? What should I look for?
What would you do/trobleshoot in my case? TrueNAS boots just fine, because it boots from SATA DOM on board. But whatever is on SAS2 ..

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Which backplane and HBA? There's different types of SAS2 backplane (single expander, dual expander, direct, etc).

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Which backplane and HBA? There's different types of SAS2 backplane (single expander, dual expander, direct, etc).
Pardon me if I say something guffy :) I will go from memory, I can get to the box if more info needed

SCE846 case with SAS2 backplane - This is what I purchased all together. Is there different types with this case?

For HBA.. It's X10SL7 MB with onboard SAS2 (6Gbps) via LSI 2308. Which I reflashed to direct pass-through when I was building it awhile ago for FreeNAS. It is connected to backplane with blue cables :)

Right now system is unstable, TrueNAS boots but then if it sees drives (which as I said random) - it would start responding at some point alltogether.

P.S. My gut tells me it might be OS (TrueNAS) issue. Since it was upgrade and not install. But I am trying to figure out how to salvage data before I do full reinstall.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
SCE846 case with SAS2 backplane - This is what I purchased all together. Is there different types with this case?
Yes, there's four models of SAS2 I'm aware of - TQ (individual drive connectors), A (direct-attach with SAS connectors), EL1 (single expander), and EL2 (dual expander). It should list the model on the label - e.g. BPN-SAS2-826EL2.

Regardless of which one, it could be something as simple as the drives not seating all the way into the backplane, or the backplane not being screwed all the way into the chassis (adding more drives could have pushed it out of place if it wasn't secure).