Is this a 846B or non-B?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
Looking at my options on mounting SSDs separate from my array in the case. In particular, interested in getting MCP-220-84610-0N. However, I'm not sure if I have the compatible variant of the 846(B). Can anyone help me from the attached pic? Thanks!

back.jpg

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You do not have a 'B' version, so unfortunately no option for dual rear hot-swap (only slimline optical drive, which gets you single hot-swap at best with an adapter). You can still use the two internal 3.5" mounts though. MCP-220-84601-0N is the bracket required to mount 3.5" drives. They're only $5ish each. Then you'll need a 3.5" to 2.5" (or dual 2.5") adapter for each of the spots (doesn't have to be Supermicro SKU).

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
Thanks! Was thinking about going internal after some thought anyways. Sorta hard access the back of the unit in my rack.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I assume it is SuperMicro box as it looks just like mine.
if you have a spare pci slots, checkout this (https://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Desktop-Hot-Swappable-2-5-Inch-Expansion/dp/B00TTWZ9T2) OR this (https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Tray...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KG7KFQ50AP9FX8D1RCKX)
I use one of each and they work very well.
I run a dual SSD for OS drive in raid 1 setup. and want to have them accessible other than pop the case.

in my case I had to cut the metal bottom part, the thing that fits over the pci plastic, on one adapter as it fits on top of some electrical components not a pci slot. I had to squize it in my box as I have an older opteron MB and use all the slots for my hdd controllers (have 3 x8) and an extra network card. thinking about getting one 16 port cards to free up some space though.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I know BlueFox already helped you, but I thought you might appreciate a picture of what a 846 that IS compatible with the dual 2.5" hot swap bays looks like, for comparison's sake: