Is this 16u rack suitable for servers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I need a a small rack for my home to house my new 3-node vSAN cluster, a UPS, and some networking equipment (about 10U total). The only space I have for it is next to my desk which is 28" deep and thus I need a rack cabinet no deeper than that.

I found this cabinet (ignore the price I can get it for half that) which they seem to market as an A/V rack. Is this now suitable for say SM servers because of the threaded rails and would cooling be a concern as well?

16SP27DP MOBILE F RACK GE

maze

Apr 27, 2013
as long as they can vent their exhaust they should be good

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I thought this cabinet came with fans but not only does it not but it doesn't even come with fan mounts. I'd have to add one of these to get some kind of exhaust.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
There's been a real good thread recently on this, forget where it is at but a lot of folks were going back and forth on this for member @JimPhreak

Here: (ohh you were already in on that thread) pretty well covered IMHO, I don't have much to add other than I am tired of my 1/2 HP rack and could use the SM Rack14U but not at the 1K pricepoint...maybe the fall off a back of a truck $200 steal of a deal!

14u Cabinet For Home Office

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
There's been a real good thread recently on this, forget where it is at but a lot of folks were going back and forth on this for member @JimPhreak

Here: (ohh you were already in on that thread) pretty well covered IMHO, I don't have much to add other than I am tired of my 1/2 HP rack and could use the SM Rack14U but not at the 1K pricepoint...maybe the fall off a back of a truck $200 steal of a deal!

14u Cabinet For Home Office
Thanks @whitey I did browse through that thread and got some ideas from it.

At this point I'm leaning towards this Tripp Lite 12u rack. Wish they made the depth I want in the 15u and their 18u is too tall. Now I just gotta figure out what kind of fans to get for both intake and exhaust on this thing that won't be too loud. The fans Tripp Lite sells to go along with these racks are 210-310CFM and from what I've heard sound like vacuum cleaners so those are not going to do.

SmartRack 12U UPS Depth Wall Mount Rack Enclosure Cabinet with Clear Acrylic Window Hinged Back (SRW12USDPG) | Tripp Lite

Last edited:

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Think I've found the rack I'm going to get. Decided to go with a 22u for future expansion room.

LINIER ® - 22U LINIER® Server Cabinet - Glass/Vented Doors - 24" Depth #3100-3-024-22

Now just need to decide what combo of front/back doors I want (glass, vented, solid, etc.). Thinking glass front door with either solid or vented back. With solid back I'd install 2 exhaust fans on the roof of the rack.
if you have solid back, you NEED to put fans on the back side.
why? to take the hot air out as soon as possible, do not let heat air raise to the top. this is bad!!
unless you have honeycomb back panel, the top air help to pull hot air by circulation cold air from outside to the back side of servers.

to reduced noise, you need closed "door"( solid panel on front, sides, and back) server rack that take cold air from outer bottom and the side slots.
one important thing!!, take hot air from the back panel with reliable ballbearing fans.

I would suggest to get 120mm fans minimallny, 12U need 3 fans that running 2000 rpm (you can tweak manually, if not controller involves). I bought 12V 40mm thick 120mm delta ball bearing fan for $9 each. these has PWM and RPM, you can control manually wih fan controller.. but be carefull.. these good fann pull 1.1A max. I tested on cheap manual fan controller and can not handle!!. this was the reason I stick with my own controller via PWM.
on average running 1500, should gives you little noise on 120mm fans.
I bough 6X delta 120mm (max is 5000RPM) new from ebay. mostly running from 800rpm - 1900rpm dynamically with my own controller(PWM and extra..)

how to make a hole on back panel?, I use hole saw 114m diameter, not perfect but works.
If you want get cheap saw hole, get it from harbourfreight with 20% coupon off, use couple times and toss away due on low quality ha!!..

add charcoal sound dampen too!!! this is important

the front door should be solid, not glass or honeycomb style due all side must be padding with sound dampen...

good luck on looking..

or simple solution for 12U-18U-24U..
are you looking on 12U netsheter CX, and find the local authorized seller? the new one was $1200, but shipping cost is expensive due on heavy item
12U-18U has one module with 3X120mm fans/module
24U has two module with totak 6 fans.
I think 12U versus 18U are good on average, 18U should be the best pick..

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
if you have solid back, you NEED to put fans on the back side.
why? to take the hot air out as soon as possible, do not let heat air raise to the top. this is bad!!
unless you have honeycomb back panel, the top air help to pull hot air by circulation cold air from outside to the back side of servers.

to reduced noise, you need closed "door"( solid panel on front, sides, and back) server rack that take cold air from outer bottom and the side slots.
one important thing!!, take hot air from the back panel with reliable ballbearing fans.

I would suggest to get 120mm fans minimallny, 12U need 3 fans that running 2000 rpm (you can tweak manually, if not controller involves). I bought 12V 40mm thick 120mm delta ball bearing fan for $9 each. these has PWM and RPM, you can control manually wih fan controller.. but be carefull.. these good fann pull 1.1A max. I tested on cheap manual fan controller and can not handle!!. this was the reason I stick with my own controller via PWM.
on average running 1500, should gives you little noise on 120mm fans.
I bough 6X delta 120mm (max is 5000RPM) new from ebay. mostly running from 800rpm - 1900rpm dynamically with my own controller(PWM and extra..)

how to make a hole on back panel?, I use hole saw 114m diameter, not perfect but works.
If you want get cheap saw hole, get it from harbourfreight with 20% coupon off, use couple times and toss away due on low quality ha!!..

add charcoal sound dampen too!!! this is important

the front door should be solid, not glass or honeycomb style due all side must be padding with sound dampen...

good luck on looking..

or simple solution for 12U-18U-24U..
are you looking on 12U netsheter CX, and find the local authorized seller? the new one was $1200, but shipping cost is expensive due on heavy item
12U-18U has one module with 3X120mm fans/module
24U has two module with totak 6 fans.
I think 12U versus 18U are good on average, 18U should be the best pick..
Thanks for this information. If you look at the link I posted, I picked a 22U and I'm not planning to soundproof it at this time. I will see how loud my servers actually are (highest TDP CPU Ill be using is 45w) before I decide I need to.

I live an apartment with no power tools or place to use them so cutting holes in the rack myself is not an option. I have to go with options the rack gives me. These Kendall Howard Linier racks give me the option of using any combo of solid/mesh/glass doors on the front and back but the only place I can use fans is the top of the rack so I'll have to see how it goes.

Another consideration is that this rack will be sitting right next to a window where I could possibly setup some sort of duct to exhaust the hot air outside.

Last edited:

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Thanks for this information. If you look at the link I posted, I picked a 22U and I'm not planning to soundproof it at this time. I will see how loud my servers actually are (highest TDP CPU Ill be using is 45w) before I decide I need to.

I live an apartment with no power tools or place to use them so cutting holes in the rack myself is not an option. I have to go with options the rack gives me. These Kendall Howard Linier racks give me the option of using any combo of solid/mesh/glass doors on the front and back but the only place I can use fans is the top of the rack so I'll have to see how it goes.

Another consideration is that this rack will be sitting right next to a window where I could possibly setup some sort of duct to exhaust the hot air outside.
that is reasonable!

just thrown a DIY solution that I made before.

when I was in apartment that usually move every 2 year due on they always jacked-up rental every year as possible, LackRack was a lifesaver, I stack 2 lack tab and use heavy duty tape 3M when stacking together.
and point the back side( with foam black filter for AC window) to open window in patio :D. it worked.
I did since my place was on two or third floor.

you can create simple DIY lack rack Lack Rack. (not mine)
upload_2016-3-22_14-21-21.png

you can stack additinal lackrack on the top too..

Main material lack coffe table
2 LACK Coffee table - white, 35x22x18 $25 , this is for long depth server
or
2 LACK Side table - green, 21 5/8x21 5/8 $10, short depth server
and
ALGOT Shelf - 15 3/4x22 7/8 for side panel (or back panel). check the dimension and prices

good luck.

Reactions: Mirabis

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
that is reasonable!

just thrown a DIY solution that I made before.

when I was in apartment that usually move every 2 year due on they always jacked-up rental every year as possible, LackRack was a lifesaver, I stack 2 lack tab and use heavy duty tape 3M when stacking together.
and point the back side( with foam black filter for AC window) to open window in patio :D. it worked.
I did since my place was on two or third floor.

you can create simple DIY lack rack Lack Rack. (not mine)
View attachment 1908

you can stack additinal lackrack on the top too..

Main material lack coffe table
2 LACK Coffee table - white, 35x22x18 $25 , this is for long depth server
or
2 LACK Side table - green, 21 5/8x21 5/8 $10, short depth server
and
ALGOT Shelf - 15 3/4x22 7/8 for side panel (or back panel). check the dimension and prices

good luck.
I looked into the Lack Racks but decided against it for 2 reasons.
  1. The sizes don't work for me. I need 23-24" of mounting depth but the entire unit can't be deeper than 28-29".
  2. As much as I like saving money, I don't feel comfortable racking thousands of dollars worth of equipment in a $30 piece of furniture. Piece of mind is priceless.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I looked into the Lack Racks but decided against it for 2 reasons.
  1. The sizes don't work for me. I need 23-24" of mounting depth but the entire unit can't be deeper than 28-29".
  2. As much as I like saving money, I don't feel comfortable racking thousands of dollars worth of equipment in a $30 piece of furniture. Piece of mind is priceless.
Lackrack worked on me as long as I knew not over the total weight..

Piece of mind is a game for me.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
This morning, I put 3 x Intel 2U , 5 x Intel 1U servers + 4 x 19" HP switches in 2 x IKEA "racks" stack on top of each other.
Of course, I do not roll the IKEA rack around with fully loaded servers.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I think this is the one.
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0115194_PE268417_S3.JPG

I have few real metal 19" racks in the garage , the IKEA rack is use for semi temporary server placement in the family room.
The purpose for me is not to stack all the servers on top each other, in case I need to work on the bottom server.

The Intel servers are 28" in depth, so it stick out 3.5" in front and 3.5" in back. it is not meant to be a permanent solution.
I just mention it to say that the IKEA rack is lot stronger than its spec.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Yeah I never felt uncomfortable stacking all my equipment on the Lack tables, they're very solid