Is there a way to reflash / reset the ipmi on supermicro boards without ipmi web access and system boot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
So i am currently in the process of troubleshooting a supermicro X11Spi-TF and trying to at least get access to the ipmi for further informations / error logs.
The system doesnt boot (power led green, fans spin, no beep codes, no screen output or post, doesnt react to short power button press, holding power button for 5 sec shuts down system)
but the ipmi status led is blinking (which means it should be ok) and it also shows up in the router, but only with mac address and it doesnt get any ip address on any interface assigned (tried multiple subnets)

Is there a way to factory reset the bmc / ipmi without access to the webpanel or boot?
I am looking for some jumpers or other ways to reflash / clear the data storage of the ipmi.

and yes i tried several different known working components / cpus (first and second gen) / memory / psus but always same result :(
any help appreciated

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
if you don't get a CPU to work the BMC/IPMI is useless.
you can re-flash the BMC FW but you need to set the MAC after that, without POST you can't.
maybe first FLash a new BIOS with a hardware programmer.

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
if you don't get a CPU to work the BMC/IPMI is useless.
you can re-flash the BMC FW but you need to set the MAC after that, without POST you can't.
maybe first FLash a new BIOS with a hardware programmer.
ok thanks, my therorie is that the ipmi might have been set to static and therefore doesnt get any ip address assigned (it showes up in the router but just with mac address), is there a way to find out if this is the case / what the set ip address is, that i can match it in the router and get access that way? like package capture on the router?

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
yes, you can run wireshark anywhere on the same L2 broadcast domain (doesn't have to be the router) and look for ARP requests from the IPMI.

What CPU are you trying? Perhaps 2nd gen and the BIOS hasn't been updated to support it?

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
yes, you can run wireshark anywhere on the same L2 broadcast domain (doesn't have to be the router) and look for ARP requests from the IPMI.

What CPU are you trying? Perhaps 2nd gen and the BIOS hasn't been updated to support it?
thanks, i already swapped out everything multiple times for known good components, including cpu and yes i tried with mostly first gen 4110 and 4108 cpus, going to wireshare it now

sko

Jun 11, 2021
if there's not even serial console output that thing is most likely dead... after a cmos-reset you should be able to see the POST output (and the ipmi address!) and entering the BIOS via serial console even if the VGA output is dead (or disabled via jumper - you checked that?).
You should also check if the ME jumper is set correctly.

According to the manual, if there are no error beeps, there's most likely a faulty or improperly seated DIMM module - have you checked that?

Have you tried a BIOS recovery via USB drive?

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
if there's not even serial console output that thing is most likely dead... after a cmos-reset you should be able to see the POST output (and the ipmi address!) and entering the BIOS via serial console even if the VGA output is dead (or disabled via jumper - you checked that?).
You should also check if the ME jumper is set correctly.

According to the manual, if there are no error beeps, there's most likely a faulty or improperly seated DIMM module - have you checked that?

Have you tried a BIOS recovery via USB drive?
jup already checked memory, tried like 5 different modules in the correct slot. I already cleared the cmos (which did nothing) but havent checked console immediatly after. Also checked jumpers.

So what you say is, if i clear the cmos and then on first boot after that look at the serial i might be able to see sth?
what settings should i use for the serial connection? i havent found anything regarding this in the manual

thanks

sko

Jun 11, 2021
console usually defaults to 9600 baud. wrong settings should at least produce some garbage - so if there's absolutely nothing, the board is very likely dead.

if it is only a broken firmware, recovery via a USB drive might revive it. I'd also contact supermicro support, they are usually very quick and competent (no callcenter-droids or other BS).

Reactions: UnknownPommes

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
console usually defaults to 9600 baud. wrong settings should at least produce some garbage - so if there's absolutely nothing, the board is very likely dead.

if it is only a broken firmware, recovery via a USB drive might revive it. I'd also contact supermicro support, they are usually very quick and competent (no callcenter-droids or other BS).
ok will try now, regarding usb firmware recovery i will need to look into it, supermicro support i already messaged them like 3 weeks ago but havent gotten any response at all, it is a board from ebay and out of warranty (probably). So incase the console doesnt work i am just going to file a claim with ebay and get another one (btw already made a post in the WTB section incase anyone having one they want to sell)

Reactions: gb00s

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
ok so little update
i just wasnt able to get it working, at least the seller was nice and agreed to take it back.
Thanks for all the help guys :)

Reactions: RolloZ170