is my cooling good enough?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
my server motherboard shipped and came pre installed with these 2u passive coolers. my question to you is do i install the mobo and pray my case has enough airflow to cool these passive coolers or do i wait till i can get active cooling to set up the server? my motherboard shipped with two 10 core xeon e5-2660 cpus thanks for your time

also if you think i should wait for active cooling then please link me to the proper coolers this is my first server and i wanna do it right

almost forgot my case is this one Define 7 XL

Attachments

ano

Nov 7, 2022
you need new coolers with fans, get something silent.

the ones you got work awesome in a 2U server chassis or similar, and quite horrible in a desktop consumer thing.

jerryrigging it with fans on either side is an option

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
you need new coolers with fans, get something silent.

the ones you got work awesome in a 2U server chassis or similar, and quite horrible in a desktop consumer thing.

jerryrigging it with fans on either side is an option
would i just screw the fans into the fins?

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019

Attachments

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
if you get decent fan to build up negative pressure you may be able to deal with passive heatsinks;
(would recommend 80x38mm supermicro pwm fans, price is ok for its top performance // hell if you isolate your air output, you could potentially just have 1 fan)

else you should consider notctua nh-ud9dx i4 or nh-d9l ; they will be quieter option.

Reactions: kaitlin4599

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
heatsink-socket mounting holes may not line up, as well as bracket may have incorrect screw diameter (mounting pressure may also differ) - i recommend you double check that they line up, and fit your motherboard before buying lenovo/dell/hp etc heatsinks (they are often custom to force you use their heatsinks on their systems).

• Wow
Reactions: kaitlin4599

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
Any active cooler that fits 2011 square ILM, screwing into the motherboard's backplate. Arctic Freezer 34, 33, NH-D9DX, Deepcool 400, or even the venerable CM Hyper 212. All should fit with plenty of clearance in your enormous case. I've also used EVGA CL11 AIO.

@Sean Ho i thought the 2011 server boards used proprietary coolers? i know on my friends 1366 server board normal consumer cpu coolers wont work since they dont screw in to the xeon back plate

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
It's not exactly proprietary, but most do use a builtin backplate so the push-pins don't work. However, all the coolers I mentioned come with a set of screws for 2011 that will work with the backplate. Whatever you do, please don't try to pry the backplate off the board, as some other users have attempted!

A separate issue for 2011 is some use narrow ILM, for which there are fewer cooler options. But yours are square.

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
Make sure your board uses the standard 80x80mm mounting holes for LGA2011, which it look likes it does. Also the threaded inserts are there. Be careful with OEM Dell / HP / Lenovo parts, you might find different mounting systems (94x56mm "narrow" 2011 - found on some 2011v2 MBs), custom fan connectors or heatsinks that are designed to screw into the case's backplate instead of the ILM.

You will likely find several good price alternatives, I would go for a couple of single tower, 4 heatpipe 120mm coolers. Plenty of them on the market for cheap. Besides the major brands that other people suggested, there are several H212+ clones made by chinese sellers that can be found on aliexpress. I have one that has been running on my home server (on an E5-2660) for a year without any issues. You should be able to find good bargains in the sub-30$ each.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
That's a square ILM board, so *anything* that supports 2011/2066 will work. Any single-tower 120mm cooler should work fine - I'd recommend the PA120 but I don't think two of them will fit.