Is it possible that an Apache Pass DCPMM would work on a Cooper Lake CPU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

technovelist

Dec 26, 2021
I know this is not "supported" but does that mean that it definitely would not work, or just that Intel won't help if it doesn't? And if I try it myself, will I blow anything up or will it just not work non-destructively?
The reason I'm asking is that I have a Cooper Lake server and would love to be able to use Apache Pass DCPMMs rather than the Barlow Pass ones, due to the hideous cost of the latter.
Thanks for any assistance.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
I would be surprised if something broke when you use Apache Pass with Cooper Lake.
As both Cooper Lake and Cascade Lake use DDR4, there shouldn't be any electrical incompabitility.

Of course I can't guarantee it, but I would probably dare to try.

Although I think that they will probably be recognised, but show up as "Inoperable" in BIOS... But there's also a realistic chance of it working!

technovelist

Dec 26, 2021
I just put one in to see what would happen and it is reporting as "manageable" but "non-functional". The storage is showing up but it is all inaccessible.

I assume this means I'm out of luck?

technovelist

Dec 26, 2021
@RolloZ170 Only Pmem 200 (Barlow Pass) officially works with Cooper Lake / Ice Lake, not Pmem 100 (Apache Pass). Pmem 100 is for Cascade Lake
Right, that's what I was asking about. Interestingly enough, when I use ipmctl to look at the device, it says "unmanageable" whereas the BIOS reports it as manageable but non-functional, which seems more promising.

Maybe if I get more time to play with this I'll see if I can bring it to functional status in the BIOS.