ironwolf vs wdred for synology nas

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jbates58

Oct 18, 2013
hi all

i have recently been given a synology RS812+ nas by a friend. and one of the drives in it is dead, so i need to replace it, but i am also looking at upgrading it to the largest i can, so that my storage needs are covers for years to come.

its just a home enviroment, so it will hopefully last me the distance.

i am looking at the 8tb ironwolfs or the 10tb reds.

but which is the better choice, i know that i will get more storage with the reds, but the ironwolfs are a decent amount cheaper, so i am wondering if i am better off saving some cashola and putting that into an ssd for the cache drive in the unit, vs just getting the reds. i will have it configured in RAID0 for the speed of it. i dont need a level of redundency, as its a secondary backup of my desktop system. And i also got given a sas tape drive, so i also want to use that offsite from here, purely as a learning excercise. i know that they are slow, so speed isnt a huge issue for that.

this is all new terain to me. so im not sure what the best option is.

i will have it set to spin the drives down and what not, as its only a home unit it dosent need to be hammered its whole life.

cheers

Jason

jbates58

Oct 18, 2013
so, it seems that the wd reds are the best option then.

thanks.

now to try and find some decent prices for them