IP-enabled device to control Voltage/Wattage

Discussion in 'DIY and Makers Spot' started by JSylvia007, Jul 29, 2018.

1. JSylvia007

JSylvia007 New Member

Howdy All!

I've been a lurker here for almost a decade... Figured I might as well create an account and ask a question.

I have a blower unit in my rack to keep it temperature controlled. It is a simple 120v direct plug-in fan. I've attached it to a potentiometer, to control the rate at which it moves air.

I'd love to be able to control this via IP, as currently, if it gets too warm for a stretch of a few days, I need to physically be around to turn the knob on the potentiometer.

Any ideas for a device like this that may exist?

2. Jeggs101

Jeggs101 Well-Known Member

This sounds like an excellent raspberry pi project. I'd look there. There's gotta be someone on RPi forums that's done this.

3. JSylvia007

JSylvia007 New Member

I'll give that a shot. I agree that its perfect for that task, but I don't know enough about the electrical side to pull it off.

4. mstone

mstone Active Member

google for "digital potentiometer", e.g., How to Build a Digital Potentiometer Circuit with a MCP4131

note that you need to make sure you look at the voltage & current requirements--the specific part in that article would not be appropriate for a fan. the nice thing about a digital pot for this application is that it has memory; it will remember the setting even if you turn off the controller or reboot it or it crashes or whatever. another option would be a PWM fan.

fwiw, once you've started down this road you might as well add a temperature sensor. :)

5. JSylvia007

JSylvia007 New Member

Unfortunately much of that is over my head. I might be forced down that path though. We'll see!

6. gregsachs

gregsachs Member

7. K D

K D Well-Known Member

8. JSylvia007

JSylvia007 New Member

These might work, but they don't give the control I'm looking for. Set-it-and-forget it might work though. My primary reason for this is to keep the noise down. When the fan is up, it's quite loud.

I like these... I'd have to retrofit my rack, but I like these.