Internal Read/Write nvme

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wicked

Jan 23, 2024
Greetings, I know someone here with way more brains in this matter can hopefully help me figure out some nvme bottlenecks that I'm having.. I have a 2950x thread ripper, which I have a gen 3 Samsung 970 500gb I'm testing with, Crystal mark shows the correct speeds, selected nvme in settings and it's getting roughly 3k write and reads are 3k+ ish. I also have a 1tb WDred similar speeds as well, doing a 30gb video file transfer from one drive to the other results in 1.5GB/s no matter which drive going to and from. Is this because of say the pcie lanes connected to the CPU are basically halfing the speeds due to iops? I've tried different scenarios one using the chipset one in the CPU lane. Also tried an Asus m.2 hyper card as well. Still never over 1.5GB/s internally

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Need more specs but, a couple of things come into play. Space available on both drives / partitions. Chipset bandwidth on AMD is lacking compared to Intel. Even my x670 is 1/2 of what Intel can do and it makes an impact compared to the CPU lanes.

In my laptop I have dual NVME drives one is Gen 4 slot and the other is Gen 3. For awhile I could only get about 1.5GB/s and the. I expanded the windows partition for more space and the speed jumped to the full 3GB/s on the second drive. I figured it was the dmi bottleneck but, it turned out to be windows throttling due to free space.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
tried an Asus m.2 hyper card as well. Still never over 1.5GB/s internally
That is not "internally" on the card. Each nvme is treated as a separate device by the cpu.

How many lanes do your nvme's run at?

Is your CPU high when you copy stuff?

Do you have enough of system ram?

Have you tried total commander or such to copy files? (big file copy mode not using cache)

How about their heat? (nvme's heat) Run hwinfo while trying to copy the data, maybe they are thermally throttling. (asus hyper card has crappy cooling)