Intel Xeon Scalable Processor Family SKUs and Value Analysis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
My reading of this is not much shift in TDP for cores and base clock similar, some Monster big core count chips and some good frequency optimised sku.
Don't know about how much the IPC is improved but with the high TDP PCH does not look like much improvement over e5 v4 ??? (Not that too much was expected still at 14mn)

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
The marketing is awful. The pricing is confusing. An Oracle SKU/Price list makes more sense than this abomination.

Whomever dreamed up this monster should be fired from Intel.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The marketing is awful. The pricing is confusing. An Oracle SKU/Price list makes more sense than this abomination.

Whomever dreamed up this monster should be fired from Intel.
We figured that a while back... too complicated for sure !
I can imagine people focus on some common sku and mostly forget the rest.
1.7ghz chips ... really wondering about the IPC increases as they look as boring as the save e5 v4 low speed cpu's, and still 85w TDP. Xeon-D still has a place :)

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I got the threads confused you blasted out 3 in a short period of time. I grabbed the first one that looked like the one I read :D

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
I agree with the part that the stars of the show are the entry level Bronze models, the 6C/12T for 213 U$D doesn't look that bad even if the Frequency is low, and looks like a massive upgrade over the previous E5 2603v4 models. It seems to have retained most of the cost-effective features that doesn't require you to go for the 1000 U$D models (Fused out an FMA unit unless you're going for a 1700 U$D Processor. Seriously? At least is less worse that what they did on LGA 2066, with the three entirely different feature sets...). If I had money to do experimental troll builds I would actually think that the Bronzes could be fun to play with. Wish enterprise parts were possible to overclock, it would have a mounstruous headroom...
What I fail to see is a Workstation or prosumer replacement to the E5 1620v4/1650v4. No competitive low Core count, high Frequency models for people that wants a Intel HEDT type part with ECC? Maybe these Xeons are planned for LGA 2066?

For the rest of the lineup... What the hell Intel did this month? Is like if no one told them that Epyc specs have already been made available, and are still riding the monopoly rainbow. And seven Chipsets. SEVEN. We just had a single one for the entire Haswell-E/Broadwell-E generations.
I hope that AMD drags them down to the reality, the hard way.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
As you may have read @zir_blazer I agree on many points. One major bit:

You still cannot buy AMD EPYC systems. Dell, HPE, Supermicro were all on stage at AMD's launch event. HPE and Dell launched their next-gen server families today. EPYC was missing from both and I know Supermicro is not shipping production yet.

Alternatively, You can buy 1-4 socket Skylake-SP systems.

Although AMD "launched" first, Intel systems are going to be purchased and installed and Intel will be into its lifecycle towards the next-gen before AMD is available. Intel today announced it shipped over 500K production units to 30 customers already. If AMD shipped that many at a $1500 ASP that would be over 15% of the company's annual revenue.

There are a lot of marketing games going on behind the scenes.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
8180M = high memory capacity (1.5TB)
8180 = normal memory capacity (768GB) and the one we reviewed

Some SKUs have a F version for integrated (OPA) fabric.

Reactions: eva2000

JDM

Jun 25, 2016
So I know these CPUs are now available for purchase (I have some on order from Dell already at HPC site of employment), but is there a time frame for when they'll be available for me to buy personally from per say Newegg or Amazon?

BobbyB

Dec 26, 2016
Bronze doesn't have HT nor Turboboost, suprising cheap E3 low speed replacements still but I can't help wondering they must be expensive to manufacture just due to using sockel P. That chip package must be expensive (for a 200$ chip at least).

Dissapointed by the 768GB/CPU limit on non-M, even on platinum CPUs. For SAP HANA considering you can run upto 6TB with 4sockets and try to avoid going beyond 4 sockets most of the time, one is forced to use either 2x M-CPUs with 3TB or 4x M-CPUs with 6TB for ERP sizing. Hopefully 24DIMMs per CPU will stay a thing in these servers (R940, Primergy 2800 etc), if forced to use 128GB DIMMs due to only 12slots per CPU such config goes six digits in a hurry. Was easier in E7v4, 3TB designs were quite affordable with 8890v4 and 32GB modules. Might make Power9 atractive as a platform :)

Find the -F suffix odd, would be perfect suffix for FPGA enabled CPUs, -O for omni makes more sense to me. Oh well.

edit: found R940 info is out, ouch, 48DIMMs only

jerrytsao

MILAN X P5800X
Sep 11, 2016
Shanghai, CN
Bronze doesn't have HT nor Turboboost, suprising cheap E3 low speed replacements still but I can't help wondering they must be expensive to manufacture just due to using sockel P. That chip package must be expensive (for a 200$ chip at least).

Dissapointed by the 768GB/CPU limit on non-M, even on platinum CPUs. For SAP HANA considering you can run upto 6TB with 4sockets and try to avoid going beyond 4 sockets most of the time, one is forced to use either 2x M-CPUs with 3TB or 4x M-CPUs with 6TB for ERP sizing. Hopefully 24DIMMs per CPU will stay a thing in these servers (R940, Primergy 2800 etc), if forced to use 128GB DIMMs due to only 12slots per CPU such config goes six digits in a hurry. Was easier in E7v4, 3TB designs were quite affordable with 8890v4 and 32GB modules. Might make Power9 atractive as a platform :)

Find the -F suffix odd, would be perfect suffix for FPGA enabled CPUs, -O for omni makes more sense to me. Oh well.

edit: found R940 info is out, ouch, 48DIMMs only
24 DIMMs need SMI, there is no 3DPC nor SMI support on Skylake-SP, hence 12 DIMMs per socket at most.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
These are incredibly underwhelming. I'm getting tired of intel's artificial market segmentation games. Once the vendors put their own artificial segmentation on top of this mess, the might-have-beens will far outweigh what we end up getting.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
As you may have read @zir_blazer I agree on many points. One major bit:

You still cannot buy AMD EPYC systems. Dell, HPE, Supermicro were all on stage at AMD's launch event. HPE and Dell launched their next-gen server families today. EPYC was missing from both and I know Supermicro is not shipping production yet.

Alternatively, You can buy 1-4 socket Skylake-SP systems.

Although AMD "launched" first, Intel systems are going to be purchased and installed and Intel will be into its lifecycle towards the next-gen before AMD is available. Intel today announced it shipped over 500K production units to 30 customers already. If AMD shipped that many at a $1500 ASP that would be over 15% of the company's annual revenue.

There are a lot of marketing games going on behind the scenes.
Can you say when will Epyc actually ship?