Intel Xeon E-2400 series Raptor Lake-E for LGA 1700

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
According to WCCFTech and CPU-World, which sourced this from a leaker in Twitter, Intel will revive the Xeon E line with several Raptor Lake-E SKUs which will only have P-Cores enabled, up to 8. I would assume that all models should use the Raptor Lake B0 8P + 16E die, which would make them interesing models as there are no pure P-Cores only Raptor Lake SKU (Unless you count the ugly Core i5 13400 B0 version, which also had castrated Cache L2 to match Alder Lake thus killing Raptor Lake IPC improvements).
It may be interesing to see if Intel actually decides to officially enable AVX512 on those, as these don't have the hybrid E-Cores excuse. Whenever they will work in consumer boards or Intel still sticks to the market segmentation since Skylake days of not allowing Xeons E3 to work in non-C/W series Chipsets is also not known.

As a personal note, since Alder Lake launch, I don't recall even a single time that Intel mentioned what was going to be the fate of the Xeon E series. The two major features, ECC RAM support and vPro, were incorporated into the regular Core iX lineup, whereas in previous generations they had no support for these features and you instead required a Xeon branded SKU (In addition to a C or W Chipset. Currently, for LGA 1700 you need the W680 or R680E Chipsets for ECC support, but can get by with a regular Core iX). However, Intel never said if Core iX on W680 were supposed to be the new Xeon E3 Workstation/Server equivalent.
I have no idea if these comes with a new Chipset, but they're supposed to be part of a new platform, Catlow. I have been highly critical that Intel screwed up by not refreshing the W680 Chipset (Which is pretty much a Z690 with ECC and vPro support. As an Intel first, it is a Workstation Chipset that can also overclock), since that is where you most likely need the upgraded 8 PCIe 3.0 -> 4.0 lanes. However, in a stupid move, Intel decided to use the W790 name for a totally different Socket. X799 would have been a more fitting name for it.

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
At the moment the fitting chipsets are online at intel ark:
Intel® C260 Series Chipsets
Interestingly launch date is listed as 6/30/2023.

A few weeks ago there was a C266 based Microblade and corresponding mainboard B4SC1-CPU online at supermicro.com. I found no other Mainboards with C26x chipset then. They removed everything relatively fast. It's still in their mainboard matrix and google lists some results including manuals from cache but all links are dead.

Last edited:
Reactions: RolloZ170

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
They were officially released. SKU data available on Intel Ark site.
Instruction Set Extensions: Intel® SSE4.1, Intel® SSE4.2, Intel® AVX2
So no AVX512? Meh.

Also note that the release slide claimed DDR5 2 DPC up to 4800 MHz, which would be higher than the 3600/4000 that all other Raptor Lake-S does. Unless the slide is wrong and that is for 1 DPC, which would put it lower than Raptor Lake 5600 MHz.

JanR

Nov 5, 2023
So no AVX512? Meh.
And no iGPU...

Additionally, I do not understand why these Xeons are not supported on W680 boards - those ARE usually workstation/server class.

Therefore, contrary to older entry level Xeons, these E-Xeons have significant less relevant features than there Core-i-counterparts. An i9-14900K has ECC (on W680 board), 8 P-cores with more turbo, additional E cores (that can be disabled if not needed or not wanted) and the iGPU.